filtration for a 4 footer

mjc

I wouldnt buy any of those filters as they are just not worth the money. yeah you save, but the difference in filtration between them and an eheim 2217 is just incomparable. I recently changed filtration on a tank that had two cheaper filters on it that I purchased online to having two eheim 2217s. I went from having a tank that was downright unpleasant at times to one that just never seems to get dirty. the tank in question was filled with large haps at high density and fed very well. the change in the water quality was unbelievable. the cheaper filters can and will do the job, there is no doubting that. its just that the way the 2217's do the job is far superior and worth the extra money. you can pick them up for $220 each at some stores in sydney, so I would never even consider using any other brand. its just not worth the savings. plus in the long run the eheim will outlast any of the others without a problem.

all of that is based on my experience using both types of filters and is of course only my opinion.

I've always had good experiences with Fluval filters, and found their older models to do a better job than eheims in my tanks.

I have not used the newer type, but they are for sale on Ben's site (see above) and I'd suggest that 2 of the 304's would do a great job on that tank. Upgrade to the 404's if you want even less cleaning.

Whatever you decide to do, I'd recommend 2 filters over 1 huge one. This gives you some backup should one fail for any reason, and means you can confidently clean one in the sink while the other one maintains the bacteria.

Unfortunately Ben doesn't sell eheim rolleyes.gif but I can thoroughly recommend him and his service smile.gif

Archived