Albino B/N, a Warnig of sorts

Boots n all

Hi Jess

To this end and to prove to myself the whole theory I am actually outcrossing some spare albino males with normal bn females.

So far no eggs even but checking every day wink.gif

I will destroy any normals that I don't need for this program just to avoid anybody getting unexpected albinos. wub.gif

No doubt this is a 2 year project.

Cheers

Andreas

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ant, you destroy them because if you were to sell them and the buyer bred them and gained a few dozen albino's, youd have ruined your own market share, and you would have only sold them for a couple of bucks each being 'normal' bristlenose.

I still dont like the idea, but each to their own, just think its pointless to kill perfectly healthy fish for extra "$$". I'd rather sell and still make a little money than destroy the fish even if it does create a few surprises for other people.

Anthony wink.gif

Good on you Andreas for doing the outcrossing - the majority of people don't bother, so I am glad to hear you have a plan and are putting the work in.

I agree with Dave - in the bird world normal coloured birds that carry a desirable recessive gene are sold as "splits" and carry a higher price than normals. Of course if you buy the splits you have to trust who you are buying them off as there's no way of checking (until you test breed them) that they do indeed carry that gene. But basically if have fry from an albino parent and a normal parent you can sell the offspring as guaranteed splits (since albino BN's do seem to be true simple recessive).

Cheers,

Jess

Gianniz i don't think this issue relates to feederfish as feederfish aren't being destroyed for the sake of being destroyed.

Anthony cool.gif

PS: Sorry if i miss read your post but i think i'm on the right track with your statement

"Losing market share" would pretty irrelavent now as the price of Albino bristle nose is already in 'freefall'. They can be got for 1/10 the price they were 18months ago.

Even larger size albinos are appearing on wholesale price lists.

Alan

Gingerbeer -

I dont like the tone of your post dry.gif . I dont think there is anything wrong with the idea of selling splits/heterozygotes and dont really understand your comment huh.gif.

The fish hobby is pretty naive when it comes to genetics (and sometimes sense). I for one would almost rather buy a split D. compressiceps than an albino (for example) as at least you know there has some outcrossing being done. If this had been done in the first place there might be a few more albino dimi's and albino nigripinnis etc around.

They are being sold for $40 each, in Brisbane atm. Wet petz have a special. I have seen them elswhere here for $60 each. $50 each at auction seems a bit steep in comparison. Someone is obviously selling them alot cheaper than that? zipit.gif

Cheers,

Jason

PS: Tiger, i reckon it was just a joke.

even though we are in same country, you cannot compare the price from other states.

It seems though all the new and fancy fish goes to QLD first thus being established longer means more fish to choose from.

Also sydney has more demands as there seem to be alot more fish fanatics thus not enough supply means high prices.

Why not compare prices in Brisbane?

If I wanted something at Brisbane prices it would be here in my tanks in under 3 hours. I ship regularly to Brisbane as apparently they don't get the best of everything first. It's not as big a deal as people believe. In fact its probably less hassle than heading to newcastle or nowra from the west.

The fish in all the states basically come off the same wholesale lists (excluding fish bought directly from breeders), which means the prices each store charges are much more dependant on their markup than the wholesale cost of the fish.

Seriously if all the best fish go to Qld first and are cheaper there, pay the $60 or so and get a box of them sent down instead of whining.

I'll pay an extra $ for yoursplits, in fact I'll even pay an extra 2$

I believe gingerbeer was trying to say, That he would pay the extra bit of cash that would be needed if you sold your splits , and that he would even pay 2 times the amount for them..

Well that just how i read it.

Also someone should post a picture of their albino BN, I don't believe i have seen a picture either!

They sound like an interesting catfish. smile.gif

Cameron. smile.gif

ohmy.gif ?????,

If all the good fish come to Qld first, then how come we have to aquire all the new species on the scene from down south ????

It is only after they have been established and bred here that prices start comming down fast.

blush.gif Alan.

Tiger -

Just because you and Cam read something one way - doesnt mean it's the only way to read it.

I dont want to sidetrack so please PM or email me if you'd like to discuss this matter further.

Archived