dovii

AFRACICHLID

• 2 weeks later...

I will try and get the specifics...but from what I have been told it has something to do with the early release of certain hormones in the fish brought on by the breeding process. I'm not suggesting they will grow half as large...just not attain full growth potential. If you think about it from a "natural selection" point of view. If a fish breeds earlier and smaller, there's a better chance that the predator/prey relationship will slant more in favor of the smaller fish...not as many larger fish to eat their brood....and no need to get progressively larger. In the wild if they don't have the size to protect their young...they are gone...so they grow larger for breeding.

I've bred over thirty different species of CA/SA cichlids...and will attest to the fact that the smaller the breed the smaller they stay. When I get a group of fis I generally wait to get a breeding pair and also single out one or two others to keep for show fish. In almost all cases the non-breeding fish is substantially larger.

I have to undoubtedly support mojo's 'theory'.

I have also read something with scientific reasoning, but the gist of it is, all their energy goes into hormones and reproduction instead of growth. Fish and any other living creature have only a limited amount of energy to expend.

This is not an unhealthy stunting as can be caused by poor conditions, rather it is just that they are not using their growth potential.

I don't think it takes away much from their potential size though. If you were to seperate fish at a later stage (after some spawnings) they will go back to growing as normal supposedly.

I have tested it with my green terrors - and also with a few species of mbuna over the last few years. It was ultimately most noticeable in my Lab. "Hongi" males. Dominant males exerted their energy in spawning and displaying and so sub-doms grew faster, assuming dominance, and allowing the lagging growth to catch up.

I called my buddy Jeff Rapps yesterday and laid it on him. He said that the main issue isn't that the fish will grow not grow as large...it's that the fecundity of the smaller (younger) fish will be severely effected...meaning it won't produce as many eggs as the larger.

The example he gave was that while a 7" Dovii might produce 2-300 eggs, a mature 15" Dovii might produce 2000. This apparently holds true for the animal kingdom as a whole. He also said that it would only make sense that if the fish was producing hormones to have young that the majority of the energy would go there and not for potential growth. Fish in captivity have a safe environment and don't have to expend as much of their energy protecting a brood of fry. And that drive for procreation is powerful...grow or grow the species.

To be honest, he couldn't tell me any specific hormone or point me to a study regarding the topic. But in general, the man has kept thousands of various CA/SA cichlids and I would default to his explanation in a minute.

• 1 month later...

id listen to MOJO guys, lookin at his web site and fish id say he has more experience and more friends with experience than any of us will ever have. Benno

id listen to MOJO guys, lookin at his web site and fish id say he has more experience and more friends with experience than any of us will ever have. Benno

Would you like a straw? dntknw.gif

the only holes i can find in Jeff Rapps theory is firstly in the wild a dovi is not going to wait until its 15 inches long before it breeds ,it will breed as soon as its physically possible to, although i would concede that in very good conditions a wild dovi may, be slightly larger at a given age than a tank raised specimen and therefore produce more eggs, but as there are rarely perfect conditions in the wild this is unlikely,also we must take into account that a 15 inch dovi is a tasty snack and wont be around for long anyway.secondly whether the female dovi is 5 or 15 inches long its eggs and young still have the potential to grow to full size,and here is the pivotal point ,the female makes a large investment in eggs and could suffer from some slowing in growth due to nutrients being employed in egg production,but whether she breeds or not these eggs will still be produced in captivity with the consequential "stunting". males on the other hand expend little time or energy with sperm production and imo continue to grow to their full potential in normal time

in closing this is an interesting subject and raises many questions , the most obvious being does growth resume when the sexes are separated? i dont know ,but this is one persons opinion and in the absence of scientific data will always remain just that

Archived