Some pics

Guest Panga

i got these guyz on saturday and they have spawned today. the female has a small mouthfull and hopefully she isnt too young and she will hold full term :D

i thought i would share a few pics.

Im001068.jpg

Im001030.jpg

i have 3 females and a male A. nubilus and the first spawn was by the smallest female, this species is noted for its young breeding age, the male was around 1 inch, and the female was a little under, she held full term and spit 9 fry...since then all the females have held again at least once, but i dont have the space right now so no more fry have been saved...does anyone know if Astatotilapia will crossbreed with Haplochromis?

thx guyz. :D

he had his courting colours going so i thought i would grab a shot of him as he looks so good like that.

But dont get me wrong as they still look good without his courting dress.

He was just displaying a lot today and he really caught my attention. :D

That really is a fantastic male you have there Panga. Let us know when you have some fry - we'd love to take some on, keep the good quality lines of these fish going. I have a soft spot for Lake Victorian cichlids - so many are extinct or in trouble and many that we have here in Aus. have been declining in quality.

By the way, Astatotilapia brownae are on the IUCN Red List as endangered in the wild.

Sutalleco - Astatotilapia will readily hybridise with any other Lake Victorian cichlid and also with plenty of the Lake Tang and Malawi cichlids. As most if not all Lake Victorian cichlids are endangered/extinct in the wild I would say don't take a chance - keep them in a species tank to be sure. The genus Haplochromis is a rather vague one - used to cover a big bunch of cichlids from Malawi and Victoria (Dimidiochromis compressiceps used to be called Haplochromis). It's kind of a cop-out to name something Haplochromis - it tends to be where they stick them until they know a bit more about where it really belongs. So don't go by the genus name as to whether they are going to hybridise or not - it can be pretty misleading.

Cheers,

Jess

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guyz,

I was doing a water change yesterday and it got the better of me.

I caught the female brownae and put her in a home made floater till she spits.

The green colour or just the floater itself spooked her and she spat 10 fry. I left her in the floater with them as they still had the egg sacs. Within 2 minutes she had taken them all back in again and is still holding them today. biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Archived