Where in the world is

YeW

Hi Guys -

Anyone seen this cichlid recently? It seems to have vanished from the Australian hobby - which is a shame as they have a great metallic green colour and are good for beginners ohmy.gif .

Anyone have pics/sightings/stories of this fish to share?

In case anyone's wondering why I care for this little american dwarf

see:

http://hem.bredband.net/b155331/american/n...nomala_male.htm

They seem to be on most wholesalers lists but maybe simply because they are a permissable import?

I have seen a few at LFSs in Sydney in the last year or so but they look absolutely nothing like Davids picture. If they did I would have purchased them.

Craig.

I saw a pair at St. Kilda Aquarium the other week. Very nice looking (but not as obviously metallic) and I was very tempted to buy them but I have no tank space at the moment sad.gif A little pricey too.

I'm now even more tempted to buy them.

Hmmm.... A plan forms.... that 2ft killi growout tank could also make a nice planted setup for some N. anomola I think.

Dean

Hi All,

I haven't come across any in recent times but then I don't get around the shops as much as I would like to either. sadsmiley02.gif

But what I would like to say is that the last breedind pair that I did see where in my oppinion much better looking than the one in the link above.

If you can find them they are well worth keeping, I hope someone can find them.

John.

David

Merjo was right in that some Perth aquariums stock Nannacara anomala. Perth Aquarium had them on their stocklist in November at $16.50 each. Unfortunately they have no Nannacara in stock at the moment. They said there may be some available next time they place an order. They were going to let me know next time they had some in stock. Freight will be the expensive part costing about $50.00. I will let you know if they contact me.

Alternatively their details are:

E-mail: info@perthaquarium.com.au

Phone - 9351 8362

Fax - 9356 5833*; or

write to:

Perth Aquarium And Display Centre

1234 Albany Highway

Cannington, W.A. 6107

Gerard

i just sold my last 2 pair of these , mine where imports from AI but ive not seen any around for a while, i did have mine up for sale a while ago and no one wanted them , they ended up going to a you guy near me ,

Hi Guys -

The pair I used to keep were better than the pic - they dont start out looking much (like so many underrated cichlids eg: Laetacara) but they get fantastic given time and the right tank!!

Hiya,

When I was working for a certain lfs zipit.gif , I would frequently suggest that they order in the anomala. But a certain boss-person zipit.gif did not have a fondness for them at all. zipit.gif kept saying that they were too aggressive (very untrue), or that they weren't pretty enough (you can see for yourself that they are), or that they wouldn't sell (I seem to remember having them in there once and selling the rather quickly).

Anyway, I do not know if it is solely to do with zipit.gif 's distaste for them, or whether there are urban myths and stigmas circulating about the aggression, ugliness, and unsaleability of these adorable creatures. LOL.gif

Did you like all the zipit.gif "in jokes", Dave? HAHAHA

Regards,

Andrew.

• 9 months later...

Auburn Aquariums had them last time I went down. Reef Aquariums has them fairly often. They are cool little fish. My brother has a pair of Nannacara taeniata the striped Nannacara. Id love to have a pair but unforunately i dont have the tank space.

Google search

Ps. Nova - They are fairly common, I just dont think many shops order them in. They usually sell for under $20 a fish too.

Adam

• 2 weeks later...

Archived