Rare unusual Fish for Auction?

gianniz

Hi Guys -

This meeting has the giant fish raffle - there's Tropheus, Altolamps, some rare chromides and a few other good things to be won for the price of a raffle ticket!

Cheers -

Dave aka

Hmmm i saw 2 pair (and shells) of silver stream occies sold at the last auction for a mere $40 ish. They are pretty uncommon. Keep your eyes open and listen to all the bids and im sure you will pick something nice up for next to nothing.

the biggest problem with rare fish at auction is most the time nobody knows what the hell it is! so the lot will get passed in and sold later. I think that more than anything is why so few lots go through, cos you just find it nigh impossible to get a sensible price for what you are selling.

That is what is soooo good about auctions (if you are a buyer). I think if your gonna sell, you probably would expect to get wholesale/slightly below wholesale prices, although i did see a yellow fetch around 34 bucks.

From what i have noticed there are two kinds of buyers there too. 1. The serious fish fanatic who will stop bidding once the fish hits wholesale proce or just over and the little kiddies and possibly newbs who want a big Yellow male or blue male for their display tank.

Having said that, at the last major auction, thetre were some new melanochromis that were new to the country and nobody put in a single bid becuase they didnt know what they were. Or maybe just didnt like the colour of them.

I'm sure if a new pseudo or something was being auctioned off, id be up in there trying to make it mine. tongue.gif . I even put in some bids on the silver streams but stopped at $40 because i dont really collect tangs these days.

and your the brat the outbid me and then walked past me after you collected the occies and gave me a greazy LOL.gif

Your lucky i tdont keep tangs atm. Or else, there would have been trouble!! *jokes*

Nah - congrats on your win.

Ive been offered Melanochromis joanjonsonae but not a huge fan of Melanochromis.

Anyone bringing some new Pseudo elongatus' to the auction? cool.gif

They are on the NSW species preservation list.

Meaning good quality fish are getting harder to come by. It is also a local list, so what is available in QLD LFS is irrelavant, though by the sounds of it, when our stock needs a boost we know where to go LOL.gif

Yes, exasperatus and renamed joanjonsonae. Pearl of Likoma, sorry, I don't know.

It would appear that these guys are not as rare as once thought. It is typical of mbuna though, you can in a year produce an awful lot of fish with half a dozen or so breeders and little bit of luck.

Craig

Archived