I need worms!

ViS

I have just become the proud owner of my very first worm farm (thanks Joe!).

Now the problem is, I need some worms!

I need the worms primarily for a bearded dragon, but will also feed them to my larger cichlids as a treat.

There are obviously different worms I can get, but do they have specific names? I can't find a list of different types in australia. Do any have a higher fat content than others? I assume that the nutritional value comes from the type of scraps you add to the bin.

The instructions I've read on may sites is to use "composting worms". Are they your average garden worm, or the type you get from the fishing tackle shop, or the type bunnings sell for composting? Are all worms good to use as feeders?

Any help is much appreciated smile.gif

Ok after a bit more research, it seems that Tiger worms, Indian Blues and Red worms are the go. I have no idea where to get them, but I'll ring around tomorrow.

Hi Andy

The common garden variety worm is not suitable for a worm farm but if you have a good supply of them in your garden and you dont use poisons in the garden they would be suitable for feeding to your fish.

The worms for a worm farm are composting worms like the ones sold by bunnings, also check the classifieds in your local papers, they may be cheaper there.

Two common names for composting worms are "red wriggler" and "tiger", if you have a choice between the two go for the reds as some people say the tigers are not taken by fish with as much enthusiasm. My farm has a mix of both and my fish scoff down both without hesitation.

As for fat and protein content, that would depend largely on the food you give your worms. There are a number of "do's and don'ts" in worm farming, with hundreds of pages of info available on the internet, I'd recommend reading a few of them.

hth

Bob

There are a number of "do's and don'ts" in worm farming, with hundreds of pages of info available on the internet, I'd recommend reading a few of them.

Don't worry, I'm surprised I don't have actual worms pouring out my ears from the amount I've read on them in the past hour laugh.gif

Cheers Joe, I'll chat to you later mate wink.gif

Aha!

Eisenia foetida - Redworm

Images of reworms

Strange that Eisenia foetida is apparently the redworm AND the tiger worm.... blink.gif

Then in places it says that the above worm is a red wriggler / tiger worm and the Lumbricus Rebellus are called Red Worms.

Hmmmm..... these worms are as confusing as some cichlids I've tried to identify laugh.gif

Well i know there's 2 types around here..... fat soft purplish ones, and harder red psyhco ones - tigers.

All i can tell you about them is that tigers never work well as bait for fishing for me, even though they wriggle more... squish one and smell it and you'll probably see[smell] why.

This probably doesn't help much but.....

Andy

DM

andy i got mine from k-mart , 500 compost worms the rd's love them(as did my oscars a few years ago) i give them about 4 each a couple of times a week as a treat , i just think twice about what i feed the worms, nothing too disgusting, good luck your animals will love you clap.gif

Archived