cheaper alternative bring ph down

johnwilly1000

hey guys i've heard theres a cheaper alternative to bringing the ph down. i waas told a long time ago by a guy who owned lots of tanks and kept discus. he used some form of acidic liquid from i think bunnings or something.

do u guys know of the name?

would it be 100% safe to use for arowana?

i have 8x2x2 tank

otherwise who sells the cheapest ph down powder in large quantities in brisbane?

thanks

'hydrogen chlorine"?

how about sodium biphosphate?if your not sure and need to act quickly.i dont recommend water being allowed to get too soft either.rock salt for this.

i know zip about aro's but i read on here the other day that acidic water will burn its sensitive skin easily.

CO2 maybe? it will bring down pH!

I too have thought about HCl but have been warned off it by people who have never used it. I would like to know why the ion in NaCl is different from the ion in HCl ? I believe in using HCl it may introduct choride based impurities which may cause problems. THe funny thing is everyone who has ever said no to this has never ever actually tryed it.

Glendale Chemicals sell a "chemically pure" grade of HCl, I reckon its about time I tryed it. My suspicion is that only tiny amounts of this stuff will be used anyway.

bi sodium phophate works but particularly with discus I worry about the adverse effect of introducing all that sodium, its deffinitaly no good for Neons.

When I get around to it I will report back, unless of course I kill all me fish? smile.gif

Craig.

Geeeeeeeeeezz I wish I had of done chem at uni !!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey mate from memory I can remember you saying that in your tank you have some frontosa as well. If this is true the frontosa need a ph well above 8 say closer to 9.

Correct me if wrong!

Nick

• 1 year later...

Sorry for the late reply but I've done a little more research...

Auburn Aquarium - one of the sponsors - sells large bottles (they didn't have them out the front so make sure you ask) of liquid PH down for $30 that is much much more effective than sodium biophosphate (5ml per 50gal) which uses Sulfuric Acid (H2SO4).

Sodium biophosphate sends your sodium and phosphate levels through the roof so it's not really an effective means for dropping your ph for soft-water aquariums.

Sulfuric Acid on the other hand (this product is called "API pH DOWN and is advertised as being for soft water aquariums) disassociates into H+ ions and SO4 - which only increases your sulphates.

I wouldnt reccomend dropping down to the hardware and grabbing a bottle of Sulfuric acid, as unlike other pHdown products it isnt as expensive "per dose" anyway. Make sure you check out Auburn Aquarium as he has a few boxes in stock that he specially ordered in.

Dosing on the bottle is:

5ml per 190L = 1tsp per 50 gallons

Just as a guideline, a single dose was enough to neutralise the pH of the tap water we get here in North Sydney (I imagine its the same water as the rest of Syd).

Hope this helps tongue.gif

Dosing on the bottle is:

Just as a guideline, a single dose was enough to neutralise the pH of the tap water we get here in North Sydney (I imagine its the same water as the rest of Syd).

ppanther,

What's the starting pH of your tap water? (Wollongong is basically neutral straight out of the tap.)

p.

i new an old guy a few years ago that ran about 1000 breeder tanks in a big shed and all he would use was good old bi-carb-soda about 2 bucks at coles or woolies he bought like 30 or 40 packets at a time ,girls must of thought he did a lot of cooking

i new an old guy a few years ago that ran about 1000 breeder tanks in a big shed and all he would use was good old bi-carb-soda  about 2 bucks at coles or woolies he bought like 30 or 40 packets at a time ,girls must of thought he did a lot of cooking

smile.gif Um, Bicarb RAISES the PH.

no.gif Another old guy! LOL.gif

I read a guide on koi ponds that suggested white vinegar?! Anyone know if this is a safe option?

Plants and CO2 will do it. When I was keeping Cichlids I had terrible trouble trying to keep my PH high!...Now I have a community tank with most of the fish preferring a softer PH and don't have to add anything. My plants and CO2 do the work for me thumbup.gif

Dosing on the bottle is:

ppanther,

What's the starting pH of your tap water? (Wollongong is basically neutral straight out of the tap.)

p.

We are on the outskirts of Syd (Hornsby Area) and water comes out at about 7.4. Most of our tanks I adjust to around 6.8.

Citric acid is a weak organic acid - so the amount you would have to add to shift the pH by an equiv amount would be much greater - and results in a much greater polution of unwanted ions vs H+ ions (what makes the solution acidic). Sulphuric and Hydrochloric on the other hand are stong acids (note strong and weak acid is scientific terminology and not just loose comparisons) and provide a great deal more H+ ions more readily than Citric.

As mentioned - its best to stay clear of hydrochloric as this will add unwanted chlorine ions into your water, however sulphurics 'polutant' (at least from the scope of reducing aquarium ph) is sulphate - which is not particularly harmful to your fish, especially in the concerntrations that would be apparent after lowering your ph this way.

It has been a while since I studied chemistry but I'm sure you could find more information in a textbook even if I cant provide you with the specifics.

Hope this helps!

Archived