Tank setup for Pseudotropheus saulosi

tfoster

I have decided to setup a species tank with saulosi.

I only plan to a have a few fish perhap 1 male and 4 female. I'm not interested in breeding them, just want something to brighten the room.

What I am unsure of how much filtration and what filtration i should use.

I plan to have a sand/fine stone base, undecided on what rocks formations I will see. All depends on what I can locate. Any ideas on rocks to use??

Sorry for all the questions

Cheers

Tim.

Coincidentally, I was planning the exact same thing for a 3FT tank I'm setting up for my dad!

I was planning on running an 800L/Hr internal canister filter, with ceramic noodles in the bottom and filter pad in the top of the canister. So this should be sufficient for 4-5 smallish Mbuna IMO.

I've found those Otto internal canisters to be sensational - cheap, reliable and you can add canister cups to the thing with different media (noodles, carbon, extra sponges). thumb.gif Only drawback with them is some might think they don't look fantastic in a 3FT, but I try to hide mine with rocks or the like.

While we're at it, can anyone comment on keeping P. saulosi? Should I stick to the 1M 4F formula also??? huh.gif

At the risk of starting a debate about filteration, I personally stick to the rule of having filteration that can cycle your tank's volume at least three times an hour. So I figure my 800L/Hr internal should be sufficient for a 3FT, 110-150L tank, as well as create a decent current. And as long as you have room in your canister for the filter media of course.

There's other factors with the fish sizes etc, so no doubt others will beg to differ to my formula, and argue that you should always "over-filter" and go a beefier filter. Which is fair enough, but I think for 4-5 smaller Mbuna, an 800L/hr should crank nicely.

Would two smaller units be better for a larger mech and bio filtration?

Or should I look for an external to really do a good job.

My main concern is cleaning the filters too often because they are being overloaded. I would hope I could get away with cleaning every 2 weeks, with water changes at the same time.

Any thoughts

Cheers

Tim.

Archived