"Instant" Tank Cycling products

GTR73

Can anyone comment on the validity of the “instant” nitrogen cycling products on the market?

In regards to those liquids and powders available that claim they introduce the required bacteria when starting up a tank, I’ve heard this is BS as most of the bacteria required can’t be stored on a shelf for long periods.

So do these expensive products work or what?????

i did use one of these once and i must admit it seemed to speed the process to about 2 weeks, but ive found the most effctive "shortcut" is to put the new filter media in a net bag and put it in an established aquarium for a week prior to use , with the white media like ehiem ehfisubstrat or the glass type you can see the bacteria starting to colonise and turn it brown, then simply place in your new filter

I agree with Anthony here, instant cycling is a myth.

My method is outlined in Anthony's link above - however, even after introducing many million active nitrifying bacteria into the tank via this method - it is still wise to stock slowly.

HTH -

Yeah - i think these products can be used to speed up cycling in newly established tanks, but you will still need a little bit of time for a tank to establish a good bioflora and to settle down. You would be a little naive to just dump a whole lot of fish into a new tank after treating with bacteria in a bottle. The best results would be obtained in building up a tank's population over time.

The best way it to put your biological media into an existing tank then move it across to your new tank after a few weeks. Longer than a week as it takes a month or so for a tank to cycle naturally, so this must have some bearing on how long it will take a new media to colonise enough to prevent any ammonia spike.

I have used the Aquasonic's biological starter in the past, introduced cardinal tetras the same day with out loss with a tank set up from memory a few day prior.

Their product does have a shelf life, and I bought it from a source that kept it in the fridge.

Craig

ummm while I've never tried the stuff as I've nearly always had access to existing media and water when cycling new tanks: I believe Nigel makes extensive use of instant bacteria out of neccessity when starting up his quarantine room for each batch of fish so might be worth talking to. (he has mentioned a brand before but I can't remember it)

Archived