My DIY Setup Snags

AUS-HAWK

Hi All

Hav'nt been on the forums for quite a while now... Anyway, I have been making a 5x2x2 Main tank with a 4x15"x18" Sump tank setup, (slowly) for the past few weeks now.

A bit of background info before I ask my questions.

- I have built the cabinet and hood thus far

- I now plan to make the stryofoam/concrete background and do the plumbing next

I am now snagged on two features

1. The Return Pump

I had an Aquaclear 901 - 3700 lph in mind.

Has to lift 1.4m

What do you think?

2. The concrete for the background

- What concrete is suitable for this job and where can I get it?

- This is my biggest issue (I can't find the right concrete)

Any info, especially regarding a suitable concrete would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Alex

I had an Aquaclear 901 - 3700 lph in mind.

Has to lift 1.4m

What do you think?

How many litres does this pump push at a head height of 1.4m?

Unfortunately I can find no charts for the AC 901 Powerhead.

However the Aqua Medic Oceanrunner 3500 Pump can push (Almost the same lph)

1.0mt - 3500lph

2.0mt - 2000lph

3.0mt - 800lph

If it is possible to use that one as a guide?

Also, do you know what concrete can be used for aquarium backgrounds? (My biggest problem)

Thanks for the reply smile.gif

Ok if we assume that pump will do 2700 Lph at 1.4m, it will turn your tank over at a rate of 5 times an hour wich should be enough.

You'll need to double check that figure (2700) when buying the pump. There should be a head height chart on the box.

Can't help you with concrete backgrounds though sorry. I simply paint the back of my tanks smile.gif

Alex

I have heard of people using “Hebel” aerated concrete in their tanks, in particular marine enthusiasts. Aerated concrete is a lightweight high porosity artificial stone The advantage with aerated concrete is that it is easy to shape and sculpt into a variety of forms. The use of saws and rasps allows the production of an artificial rock/background with smooth edges.

The problem that is experienced is that because it is a cement product it alters the pH of your water. Hebel has a pH of 7.0-10.0, which may pose less of a problem in a Rift setup.

Aerated concrete is created by combining aluminium oxide with the cement. The aluminium oxide generates bubbles which form in the concrete giving it its light feel. IMO the final artificial rock or background would have to be soaked in water for an extended period of time so that any chemicals, in particular, aluminium oxide leaches out before it could be used in a tank.

Alex it may be worth looking into this further. I have not used it personally but would be interested to hear if others have.

Gerard

Unfortunately I can find no charts for the AC 901 Powerhead.

However the Aqua Medic Oceanrunner 3500 Pump can push (Almost the same lph)

1.0mt - 3500lph

2.0mt - 2000lph

3.0mt - 800lph

If it is possible to use that one as a guide?

Also, do you know what concrete can be used for aquarium backgrounds? (My biggest problem)

Thanks for the reply smile.gif

I'd be careful as pumps have alot of difference between head heights.

Like I've seen a 6000lph pump that could pump 4000Lph at 2m whilst a 6800lph pump only pumped 1800Lph!!!

Just a warning but it could be ok cool.gif

building these backgrounds is fun i have made one for my 6-2-2 south american tank and another for my mates tank.Just make sure that you do it outside cause the styro balls get everywhere.the type of concrete doesnt matter you just have to soak it for a couple of weeks doing water changes every 2 to 3 days.and finally dont have the stro too bulky cause the silicone wont hold too much(it wants to float ) so youll just have to make more caves (not that thats a bad thing) good luck thumb.gif

bitrusty,

What are these styro blocks they use under cement slabs? Also where do you get them from they sound ideal.

With the Hebel Blocks you could coat them with some of the waterproof (suitable for potable water) paint/finishes. Sorry can't remember any brand names but they have various finishes terracotta,sandstone,slate etc. Check out one of the hardware stores they all carry them.

Regards Martin

the styro blocks i got were left overs on a home building site they use them now under the concrete slabs (cheaper than concrete)they are about 3feetby 3 feet by1 foot very good platform to start with then i just used different coloured oxides to get the colours i wanted looks great

• 2 weeks later...

Archived