water buffers/salts for africans

ireland

Hey everyone

I have kept apistogrammas for a couple of years but ive decided to set up a tank and get a couple of the shell dwelling neolamprologus (either multifasciatus or occelatus).

Ive never kept any africans before and I was wondering what is generally required in a tanks, particularly what do you use for water buffers. Do many people use homemade buffers/salts and if so what do you use?

thanks

matt

i use coral sand you can buy it /kilo from a god aguarium shop.oyster shell or lumps of coral are the same.know of people using rift lake salts.buffering ability of coral sand can lessen with years ive heard though not been keeping africans more than 2 years.coral buffers to at least ph8 and hardens too.i am gunna use a little salts /buffers to raise ph more to see how it goes... :);)

I'd recommend shell grit or crushed marble over coral sand... they are both more environmentally friendly options and do exactly the same thing.

There's a recipe for the buffers/salts in the forumFAQ.

HTH -

Where can i get shell grit/ crushed marble?

I live near Lismore in northern NSW. I think the crushed marble is difficult to get hold of outside major cities because I tried to get it for my marine tank.

So generally you use a substrate to assist in buffering and also use a salt/buffer mix when you initially fill the tank and each time you do water changes?

thanks

matt

Archived