Cycling a tank

Ant

At work we had just started up 4 new tanks (2ft) We thaught we'd conduct a little test using products from the shelf and goldfish in each tank. These products were; Cycle, Stress Zyme (both have live bacteria cultures), Sure Start (water ager) and just a tank with goldfish.

Results:

1. Stress Zyme (the tank was up and running first without a hitch)

2. Sure Start (although only a water ager this was the next tank to get up and running)

3. Gold fish only (not long after the sure start tank had cycled this tank was ready)

4. Cycle (this had negative effects on the cycle process)

I have never used cycle, i have always used Stress Zyme and this proves even further that it is possable superior to Cycle. This test would have to be conducted several more times to test the products properly but it was interesting anyways. The bacteria cultures in the cycle must not have been alive to have adverse effects on the tank (the tank took almost two weeks longer than the other tanks).

I thaught id post this info just out of interest in what other people think.

Anthony cool.gif

PS: Not bagging Cycle, i know alot of people swear by it, in this particular test (with alot of variables) it didn't stand up to the challenge.

I would like to add another candidate to your list. I did not do a comparison as I was setting up my first tank but my LFS recommemded Nitrivec by Sera. He said he tried this for the first time when moving shop recently and setting up new tanks, and never lost a fish. Said that ammonia did not spike and nitrited did not get very high before dropping.

Nitrivec is a bacterial based additive which is used over a 10 day period. The amazing thing is that the directions state that fish can be added 24 hours after beginning the treatment on a new tank! My LFS said that he waited 48h but stocked the tanks up to capacity, even those with large fish, including carp. I was a bit hesitant but put 3X small e.yellows into the 400L tank after 24h. They were OK after 4 days so I started stocking my tank over the next week with up to 15X 2-6cm fish. True to form I never say more than an initial trace of ammonia and my nitrite did not get much above 1mg/L. It had dropped to 0mg/L by day 21.

For a brand new tank to cycle it must have an ammonia spike or two unless there is enough "good bacteria" provided by the product to aviod a spike. So with this product you are talking about, it is either unbelievable good or you missed the spikes when testing. This must be a very good product to work the way you have described.

Anthony

PS: Not saying i don't believe you smile.gif, just saying if this is the case then it is a very good product.

I agree. I had trouble beleiving the LFS but he was adament that he had no losses when setting up many new tanks with fish in at 48 h, so I thought "what have I got to loose!"

1 day after putting in some fish there was only trace ammonia and when I returned from a 2 night trip (3 days) it was non-existant so it must have spiked during this time.

Because these results seem so good it would be useful to have some more feedback from anybody else using it before makeing any general recomendations about it. Anybody game.....?

I will back up the Sera Nitrivec recommendation. I am very impatient when it comes to setting up a new tank tongue.gif I recently filled a 5' x 2' x 15" tank using the hose. I added water conditoner and an hour later added the Nitrivec. 1 hour after that I added 16 juvenile fish (about 4-6cm each). The ammonia tested positive (just) and the nitrite spiked at 1. I did a 30% water change and they have been fed sparingly. It has only been 3 weeks but all occupants are fine....forgot to say there are also 22 freshwater mussels in there. I always use Nitrivec (as per instructions) and have cycled hundreds of tanks in this manner.

merjo smile.gif

how do they keep the bacteria alive? and in seras case all the way from europe, i know this stuff works but its something ive always wondered, in the old days we used to put a handful of garden soil into a jar of water ,when the water settles its poured into the tank-works the same as the other cycling products

At least he is consistant with his stories!!!

Have you bought much from him in the past? He has a pretty high opinion of the quality of the fish he buys from a supplier in Melbourne but they are not cheap.

Anthony -

Not to complain (but it is hard to draw conclusions when the study doesnt have appropriate replication etc).

The easiest way I find to cycle tanks is easy and works well and quickly (though is a little messy).

I clean an established filter in the new (dechlorinated) water of the new tank. Once the murk clears (normally in a day). I add fish. Using this method I've not had ammonia spikes or nitrite spikes... though I do add fish relatively slowly.

HTH -

rolleyes.gif Getting all technical on me there Yew... laugh.gif . But isee where ya coming from......I just thaught it was interesting about cycle.

Anthony

PS:

In this particular test (with alot of variables) it didn't stand up to the challenge. 
tongue.gif

Archived