Zuchini problems

Kazaf

As everybody else does, i feed my BN Zuchini. After they finish with it i find the skin left over and always stuck on the intake of the filter and making my filter all dirty.. i find this annoying. Every morning i would go and take a look at the BN tank, I see the zuchini left over and take it out, but i always disturb them as i remove the leftover skin. I would also find the tank very cloudy.

Is there other food that wont be like the Zuchini or is there a solution the the Zuchini??...

I'm lucky; the BN eat the zucchini, and by then, the skin is soft enough for everyone else to eat. In my goldfish tank, the goldfish will generally finish what the BN and Ottos (and SAEs) don't.

Hi,

Are you blanching the zucchini first?

I do this either using the traditional method of boiling water or alternatively you can zap them in the microwave to soften slightly.

I then attach to a small rock with an elastic band to secure and there is never any leftovers to worry about :D .

Cheers

I place boiled water into a bowl with zuchini then pop them into the microwave for 30 seconds.

Elastic band? but it would still disturb them or give them a fright..

hmm i'l try that tonight.

Thanks Aline

If it really works then it will be great.

G'day Kazaf

We (Aline and I) attached the zucchini to a small rock, using a rubberband. This way the skin stays put until you take the rock out.

I use a "claw" to remove the rocks. (I have seen a similar "claw" used by people that pick up litter on the streets, mine is clean by the way :rolleyes: )

Alternatively if you are really concerned about disturbing the fish, attach a length of fishingline to the rock/rubberband/zucchini. This makes removal even easier. Its just more fidly. :p

How about peeling the zucchini? :D

Pop it on the end of a bamboo skewer with a little weight on the end to get it down to where you want it and to have one end floating up and bob's your auntie. You could even put a little fishing line on the other end so you can pull it back out when they're done, so no more nets or fingers in the tank.

Cheers - OziOscar.

I just stick a fork through the zucchini or if its to big a piece use a knife, I also find that it is a good indicator that your water is in good condition if the zucchini is still firm after a couple days in a tank, (usually in a fry tank where it wont all get eaten to quickly) your water and filtration are working well, though should your water go cloudy or the zucchini go soggy then its time to look at other things, eg-filtering etc

thats my experience only.

hope its of some help

cheers Karen

Once the zucchini is boiled it will sink. If it`s not eaten within 3 days remove it. I`d leave the skin on as it keeps the zuc in one peice and on most occassions they eat it first out of preference.

One prob i`m finding is that zucchini maybe slightly too strong for youngsters, have found dead ones near the zuc with no reason of death. Most tolerate it but have had no deaths since I stopped using it and relied on algea and spirilina to feed them. I`ve have had no probs with it for the older ones that are now 4 -5 cm. Hope this helps. smile.gif

i use fresh zucchini, elastic band it to a pebble and drop it in. So far i have not dropped it on anyone tongue.gif

how large of a slice are you using? i use about 3mm thick and the middle is eaten within 2 days and the skin within 4 smile.gif so far, no cloudiness at all...

Smaller tanks may have more problems.

EDIT: Storm boy, have you considered the fact that the zucchini you have been using has been sprayed with pesticides?

I put zuchini in 2 tablespoons of boiling water. Nuke for 45secs. Then stick a skewer through the pieces and dig it into the gravel (my tank has gravel)

If the tanks your using dont have gravel stick it through a fork or something that is weighted.

Archived