Building a tank from perspex and glass

Aquaman

Hi Folks,

I managed to score quite a bit of perspex for free today and thinking of building a tank with only the front pane and maybe the bottom as glass...

Any technical reasons why this wouldn't work?

Cheers and thanks in advance

Richard

up here at manly marineland a few years ago they used to have a 4x4x4 made of perspex it housed 2 big(45cm) lionfish, but the perspex was over an inch thick!glass and perspex will stick together ok, but the perspex would need to be fairly thick to have the same rigidity as glass, but hell they used to make tanks out of plywood and glass years ago so i reckon perspex would be ok

You need a proper solvent glue for perspex.

Glueing sheet

You can pick it up a perspex suppliers. It's usually in 2 parts. A solvent to perpare the surface and a glue.

Some of the 'silicons' can glue perspex some can't. I am not at home just now so I don't have my sheets on what to use but I some of the Sydney aquarium builders use the stuff that can glue perspex. I got some from one of them and did a water tight loaded seal with a bit they gave me.

- edit: URL did not work with an '#'

Thanks for the reply guys, and colfish - no problem actually glad you raised the issue - I would have just assumed that standard aquarium based silicone would have done the job, could have been a nasty lesson!

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

As Craig has said, silicone will not work. From memory I used Selly's clear when adhering perspex runners to the internal glasswork (for dividers). Worked well and hasn't come apart in the four years to date.

merjo smile.gif

Archived