What one to get of the big guys

Meredith

Hey All

I am confused with what tankbuster display fish to get for the loungeroom but am undecided of what to get as i have seen these fish that i mianly like.

Red Devil, Green Terror, dovii, Jaguar Cichlid.

I would like to know what you would all prefer for Character, Colour and all the rest. Like what one would follow yuo when you move the most and the one that you could hand feed the most and treat like your own pet.

Thanks and i hope you understand what i mean.

Meredith.

all of the above are great fish with plenty of attitude but what you have to remember is that like humans each has a unique temperment. IMO out of those four jags are the most interesting, gt's the most colourful, red devils the most aggressive and dovii are the biggest. if you want to have highly interactive fish...interact with them...preferably from young.

how big is the tank?

cheers and good luck.

What size is the tank? if it is a very big tank i'd go for barramundi, they don't cost all that much when young ($8) and they are a very personable fish (they let you rub their belly hehe). Of the list you provided it is the red devil that i believe is the most personable IMO.

Anthony cool.gif

EDIT:

how big is the tank?
oops.....thats already been asked sorry

ive got mine in a medium 4footer 4x18x20 they used to be in a 6 footer but to be honest they prefer the 4 footer, i think they feel more secure, anyway there happy enough cos another lot off eggs have just hatched, maybe when they get bigger ill upgrade them but they seem pretty right at the moment!

good choice Meredith, any of the choices would have been good though.

rdman has an awsum pair of rd's that i was priveldged enough to see first hand. if i remember correctly he posted some pics of them with their fry, definately worth checking out.

the babies are all free swimming now , the male is about 15cm and the femaleabout 8cm they are about 6-7 months old and this is their 5th clutch, the first lot went in ryans pond , but i kept 10 , most of the others went down the fronnies throats(responsable recycling) but ill leave this lot with the parents and see how they go.i have found that if i take the fry out early that the male blames the female and bashes her up, at the moment shes picking on hima bit, i got the pair from 6 juveniles and the pair formed naturally. good luck with whatever you choose

true they aren't exactly tankbusters but they are larger than your average malawis/tangs and can be more aggressive so they are best kept by themselves or in a pair in a four footer. IMO keeping monster cichla or gg's or our larger natives in a four footer is just a disaster waiting to happen ... murphy's law and all.

if you had a larger tank with thicker glass i may then agree with Pierced Soul.

pierced, your dead right about a pair of rd's becoming one! but thats the fun in keeping them ,you have to think like a rd and keep one step ahead of them oh and keep the eggcrate handy, they are definately intelligent and complicated creatures,infact ive just fed them bloodworm and they are ,as i write chewing it up and blowing it into the cloud of fry!

Archived