100 % water change

Chuckmeister

Hey guys, My water is testing ok but I'm not happy with the water. I know somethings wrong but for the life of me I cant put a finger on it. Anyway I want rotate 100 percent of my tank over 5 days. Does anyone know if this is safe for my fish/filters? How much water can I safely change on a daily basis?

Cheers Charlie

Hi Charlie,

What makes you think that the water isn't right if it tests ok? The most water I change in one hit is 30% (unless someone has emptied a bottle of vodka into the tank - bloody army parties :o :unsure !!!). Anyway, 100% turnover in 5 days sounds ok to me. If you don't know what the problem is, how can you fix it. What signs are the fish showing?

merjo

Hey Merjo,

My fish have days that they breath heavily. One day will be fine the next they seem to pant. I've got two 2500 ltr powerhead directed at the surface just for surface agitation so its definately not oxygen. I've also treated my tank for gill fluke but the problem still happens. So I'm thinking if I start from scratch with water that I know is fresh and clean I can say that I've done everything I can think of :)

This problem seems to bother me more than the fish but nevertheless its still a problem :)

Hi Charlie,

What type of fish are they? Is there any aggression/spawning/chasing happening? Any redness/ flaring of the gills? Any erratic swimming? Faeces colour and consistency? Fin clamping?

merjo

Hi Chucky . I don't see any probs with an 80% water change , Provided you observe the following factors :

A : Don't clean yer filter or substrate :o ...

B : Your new 80% wack does'nt lower your temp by more than 3 deg :)

C : You add your chlorine Neutralizer :rolleyes:

D : Add your water via strong spray method over say 1 x hr :w:

E : Add prefered slime coat ( just for the heck of it ) :)

F : Don't be scared , they'll love it :&

Andy...

Ps .... ( not recomended every day though so lets keep it real ) ..

jeez - i agree with Lungy, never thought I would say that :D well, not in public at least.

hey charlie

what size tank and stocking levels? I would not discount oxygen levels. sometimes surface agitation isnt enough. Are they panting at the top of the tank where there is more oxygen, if that is the problem?

and what about temp? havent got one of the heaters that stick on have ya?

Is the day they are fine the day after a water change? then they detoriate?

Other then doing your weekly water changes you should clean the filters. When im lazy (i usually am) i fail to clean my tanks when i should. My clown loaches tell me this by going up and down in an unco fashion as if they want out. After cleaning the filter they go back to normal. Well i hope u find out whats cuasing them stress.

Archived