Transporting tanks

MikeWs Fish

1. Please be nice. This may sound simple, but sadly, offensive behaviour is commonplace on the Internet. Some arises through misinterpretation of the written word (please use emoticons if required), while in other cases such behaviour is intentional. The administrators and moderators of the Australian Cichlid Enthusiasts Forum will not accept offensive behaviour of any kind - and any such posts will be deleted without warning. The board has G-rating - so keep your language clean.

Cichlids_au said

Enough of this please

Hey Mike,

SOme tips I've found when moving tanks.

Place foam inbetween each tank, lay cardboard on the floor stops the base's getting stratched and use straps instead of ropes, spreads the weight out alittle better. oh and I know its stupid but drive slowly... thumb.gif

Using removalists sounds a bit expensive. Hopefully you are planning on getting them to give you a quote first.

Otherwise just go to Bunnings and buy a couple of bags of sand and ask if you can use a courtesy trailer. Then use the trailer all day for transporting the tanks. wink.gif

ive just transported 2 and i found blankets to be good , blanket on the floor ,tank on top then fold the blanketover the top of the tank. tape the lids together and put them on the floor of the cab , 2 things will break the tanks, bumps making the tanks jump up and land back on the floor, tie them down with lashing tape(removalists should have this) the other thing is the tanks hitting together pack card board in between them at least 1 inch thick good luck

Mate I have transported tanks many times, never cracked any. We just tie them securely (as has been said, straps are better, but not always available) and pad them with blankets. Whatever you have around the house will work. Old bed linen, blankets, towels, curtains. And yea, drive carefully thumb.gif

G'day

This year I transported 40 tanks using the below method.

Empty the tanks, completely.

Place the tanks on a flat area, that is well linned with padding. Blankets etc work well. Place something between the tanks, as already discussed.

Most of the I used the back of my station wagon and for the last two trips I used a hiace van. I also towed a trailer. This had the tank stands in it.

Do NOT use a trailer to move the tanks in. Well I wouldn't. Otherwise you may have many extra pieces of glass at the other end.

Tape the glass lids together and/or use something soft like towles between them. I rolled the towels up with sheets of glass between the folds. It worked well and allowed me to transport more tanks on each trip.

Be careful about your filtration bacteria. You need it. so make sure it gets air on the way. Without it, the bacteria will die and your fish will suffer in the weeks ahead.

If I were you I would stager the tank moving into a series of days. Ideally stand by stand. This allows you to take the fish in stages and set the tanks up in a relatively unhurried manner.

Oh yes and one last thing you can never have too much help!

And....... however long you reckon it will take you, double it (and think about doubling it again blink.gif ).

Good luck smile.gif

I used a a truck, a ute with straps blankets and cushions and the back seat of a few cars and managed to get one 2.8 m rack, 6 3ft tanks and 1 3ft sump from south west to the east of syd. Thanks for your comments guys! thumb.gif The tanks seem to have survives the trip (havent filled them with water yet)... Will post pix of the setup when its all complete (in the photos forum of course). very exited - tomorrow is silicon day for all the plumbing. cool.gif

Why is it leaking? Through dodgy joins?

Are these parts pipe - pipe joins or where pipes run into tanks?

Into tanks should not need silicone if the bulkhead is fitted properly, and pipe - pipe sections if you want to make them demountable, you should buy the correct joins for the pipes as this will make the deconstruction and reconstruction of the system much easier.

Ducksta, none of the joints are dodgy, but have been disassebled for transportation pruposes.... So, the ones theat have been disconnected need silicone as insurance against leaks. All joints are correctly fitted etc. The piping can be usscrewed and disasebled. I have used plumbing tape where the plumbing goes throught the holes in the bottom of the tank etc as well as silicone as insurance against leaks.

I've filled up one tank with old aqaurium water and an established filter so far and it doesnt seem to leak - which is great news. I gotta test 5 more tanks this way and then test the plumbing of the sysytem when i fill up the sump amd run the submercable pump too. should be interteseting

Then comes the most fun part - deciding what fih to put in them. Ive already got a few ideas though hehehehehehehhehe

Oh well, each to their own I suppose. However, personally I wouldn't trust silicone to seal PVC at structural strength. I find it has a hard enough time bonding the stuff long term holding together my breeding towers. I would only use PVC joiners and PVC (blue 'plumbers') glue.

Duscksta, what i was saying is that the majority of it is plubing glue (the blue stuff that you mentioned) but there are some other joints which must not be permanantly glued together in order to disassemble and reassemble at a later date. Therefore i have used silicon glue for these joints(becuase it does come off and can be peeled away) I dont know about it being at a structural level bceause all it is doing is providing a water proof layer in case the joints which screw together decide to leak.

Anyways - the tanks transported themselves ok and the there are no leaks so far. thumb.gif

Archived