Help

bishop

On Sunday morning I discovered that about 50% of the fry I had in two separate tanks were dead. I quickly removed the remaining fish and put them in other tank. Most seem to be OK.

Now for the Postmortem.

The two tanks a completely separate. I did a water change a week ago. I tested the ammonia levels but nothing wrong. Temperature was fine. The PH was a bit low but I think was a result of the dead fish.

Does anybody have any idea why two tank would go bad at the same time and what might have gone wrong?

Not a easy one to answer

did you check nitrite and nitrate levels as well as ammonia ??

How low was the PH and what type of fish are we refering to

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What size tank and how many and size of the fry may help as well

Answers to questions:

Fish - a variety of Mbuna

Tanks Size - Standard 2ft

PH - 6.5

Number - about 20 per tank (@ about 2 cm)

Nitrate and Nitrite - I wasn't able to test at the time

Food - I don't think they starved

My main question is why would it happen to two and only two tank at the same time.

G'day Bishop

I would say pH for sure. Assuming both tanks had such a low pH.

Mbuna are tough little buggers, but only in good water conditions. Make sure their new home has a higher pH thumb.gif

hth

E4G13M4N is right about your KH. Get some shell grit and stableize your tank. Little tanks turn fast leaving little or no time for fish to react to the change.

Lepperfish also gives good advice, the mother tank must be good conditions for the breeding to have taken place at all.

Quite often the simple remedies are the best.

Hi Guys -

I suspect the problem here is fluctuations in the pH - if it moves up and down 1 pH point in a 24hr period thats a considerable stress on both the fish and the microflora in your filter. The fact that your pH dropped post fish death suggests as others have pointed out a low kH... (add some shell grit to the tank or the filter for a quick and cheap fix).

With filters potentially not working to fully capacity it is possible that nitrite spiking occured (this is equally unpleasant for the fish and may be a contributing factor).

Thanks all for the assistance.

The remaining fish are all doing well. I will now make some changes and hopefully avoid it happening again.

I am still a little concerned about why it hit two unrelated tanks at the same time.

Archived