OT: Deadily species of fish ?

Lepperfish

Just wondering about fish keepers keeping deadily species?

Like some of the guys on the herp forums keeping deadily snakes ect..

I know a guy who kept a blue ring octopus for a while which he caught in a rock pool..

well lionfish are kept by many marine people....sting rays are aswell. They arn't exactly deadly but they have very nasty venom. Don't know if anyone keeps cone shells but i am sure some psyco would laugh.giflaugh.gif .

I don't know of many freshwater deadly fish...at least in australia anyway.

Yea it depends on the person more than the fish as to what is deadly. Depending on allergies and reactions, a graze spur from an Aussie Eel Tail catfish can kill you.

As far as I know, there aren't any FW species in Australia which would be deadly if the reaction was normal, just painful.

The only native freshwater venomous species i can think of are Bullrouts and Catfish (I can't think of any australian freshwater catties that aren't venomous, or at least have some sort of irritant on/in their spines)

Bullrouts are a freshwater rock cod, so they hurt like hell, but you shouldn't die from a sting unless you have an allergic reaction to the venom. A lot of people go to hospital for painkillers from a Bullrout sting wink.gif.

I don't think Aus. catfish stings are generally quite as bad, but will have the same result if an allergic reaction occurs.

I couldn't tell you about saltwater fish people keep though. I don't really know what's kept and what's not.

Nor can i think of any exotic freshwater species, except for the aformentioned stingrays. (Though there could well be more)

HTH

Andy

DM

Yeah I was thinking more along the lines of saltwater species being more deadly.

Such as blue ring octopus ect and the like..

Cheers for the comments though.. thumb.gif

Archived