New Second Hand Tank

graceless

***THis is crossposted from another forum, so apologies to anyone who has seen (and ignored this) before!**

This is the tank/frame i recently bouth. ignore the messiness of the room around, and the color of the background. all gonna change.

what i want to know tho, is that considering this is a 5 foot tank, and it's going on to floor boards, does the frame look like it's stable/designed enough. i don't think so....

i fear there may not be enough legs for weight distribution.

user posted image

[user posted image

user posted image

does anyone have any comments/suggestions? will it distribute the weight properly?

i was thinking, first thing i need to do i bracket it all. like apexing joints to stop is from side to side movement.

then, i was thinking of cutting off the little feet (bits between the bottom square and the floor) to make the bottom square sit flush with the floor. obviously i'd then level it and carpet it, etc.

is there an obvious reason for the feet to stand that whole 4cm lower than everything else, therefore being the only point of contact with the ground?

am i wrong in thinking that the bottom square flush with the floor would be a lot more sturdy and stable than 4 little legs?

or should i just throw this stand away?

Cheers

Grace

hi Grace

5x?x?. does'nt look overly large. this setup has obviously worked for some one else, but if you are concerned, cut off the stumpy legs, add another pr of supports to the centre of the frame and all should be good. no point in disposing of it

umm don't forget--- foam between stand and tank rolleyes.gif

HTH, cheers; colfish

Thanks col.

It's a standard 5 footer, so (5x1x1.5?!?).

yer foam. thats for sure. i am planning to put a wood frame around it to make it enclosed. with that i'll also add a flat piece of wood to the top of the fram and have that, then foam then tank.

Yikes, i wouldn't even trust that design with a 4ft laugh.gif Although i have a 3ft on much the same design.

As previously stated, i'd definitely cut off the little feet things, and add a pair of vertical supports (sometimes called "legs") to the middle.

This will probably get the techo's muttering about how it would easily hold the weight or something similar, but if you ask me, it just doesnt look right wink.gif

Spending a little time and money fortifying it is good insurance against several hundred litres of water + fish being dumped in the room....

Andy

DM

hi,

the rhomboid structure wouldn't worry me at all. It's actually stronger than a regular (rectangular sided) structure in terms of coping with sideways stresses; eg when people like Shell volounteer to help do water changes and slosh a lot:woot . Though being a standard 5 footer means even skinny water-change artists would hafta stay out of it and there's not a huge amount of weight involved with the tank and water itself.

I'd grab an angle grinder and cut off the small legs to help spread the weight evenly though. Especially if it's on a wooden floor as appears to be the case.

hi,

the rhomboid structure wouldn't worry me at all. It's actually stronger than a regular (rectangular sided) structure in terms of coping with sideways stresses; eg when people like Shell volounteer to help do water changes and slosh a lot:woot . Though being a standard 5 footer means  even skinny water-change artists would hafta stay out of it and there's not a huge amount of weight involved with the tank and water itself.

I'd grab an angle grinder and cut off the small legs to help spread the weight evenly though. Especially if it's on a wooden floor as appears to be the case.

i'm with ya all the way on this laurie! thumb.gif

forget the angle grinder tho mate.. i have a 10cm hacksaw that'll do the trick just fine and keep me occupied for weeks!

wub.gif i love projects....

also, i got lost in the talk of Shell doing waterchanges.

were you recommending i bracket/apex the corners?

once the steel frame is prepared i plan on putting wood on the outside to make it a cabinet, and a flat wood top as well.

also, i got lost in the talk of Shell doing waterchanges.

Best not to even go there Grace. He was just being rude and giving away my secrets. But for the record I don't slosh that much water around, unless I am changing hang-on filters around and tip them upside down while they are still full of water...hmmm big wet patch on the carpet not good. Sideways stresses on tanks??? Don't know why he is worried about that. No harm was done..... blush.gif

Oh and my new tank that I made is now full of water and running nicely. I now just need a few tropheus to cycle it with. thumb.gif

if youre going to all the trouble of enclosing it with wood why not build a new wood stand? also how are you going to attach the wood , i wouldnt be drilling it!!! i know youre getting into marines , dont use this stand itll be dust in 12 mths!

if youre going to all the trouble of enclosing it with wood why not build a new wood stand? also how are you going to attach the wood , i wouldnt be drilling it!!! i know youre getting into marines , dont use this stand itll be dust in 12 mths!

i guess i was going to attach the wood with glue

like talking wood just for looks only.

not for marines, but for my dimis

Archived