Do BN eat plants?

Aquaman

Hi Folks,

I'm fairly sure BN don't eat any plants, however yesterday I was in an LFS and the female rep (around 16 y/o) suggested adding plants for them to feed on (eg Elodia - spl?) :):

Doesn't sound right to me, does anyone know if BN eat ANY plants?

Cheers

Richard

Aqautic plants are pretty safe from bristlenose - at most they'll scrape algae off the leaves but won't eat the leaves themselves. I can't ever remember any of our bristlenose eating plants of any sort in our tanks. They will eat lettuce sometimes, but lettuce is pretty soft stuff compared to the deceptively tough leaves of most aquatic plants.

There's no need to supplement their diet with plants, just give them pumpkin or zucchini that's been very lightly microwaved (helps it sink - but don't overdo it or you'll lose a lot of the vitamins from the food and it'll go mushy in the tank too quickly).

Cheers,

Jess

My BNs ate a bunch of plants that i put in. But they were really soft. i cant remember what sort of plant they were.

My BNs love anything vegetable, tomatoe, strawberry, zuc. rockmellon, peas, cucumber, pumpkin. andything really.

Matt

Bristlenose will certainly munch on your Sword plants. When the bristleys are larger they will turn the sword leaves into "swiss cheese".

I've been lucky, because none of mine (3 different tanks) have done that; but the clown loaches in one makes up for it...

• 4 weeks later...

Actually forgot that I posted this one! wink.gif

Thanks for the replies.

Cheers

Richard

Archived