Blood Red Parrot

Kazaf

there is nothing good about them they are ugly look deformed and i dont know why people pay big bucks for a crossbreed i dont know exactly what fish were crossed to create it but i cant stand i hate their deformed heads and cant stand the way swim

There are soooo many much nicer non-hybrid fish out there to spend $150 on! In fact there are plenty of nicer fish out there for less than 5 bucks!

They are hybrids - between what I can't remember but I believe they are intergeneric hybrids (crossed between 2 genuses, which is further removed than crossing between 2 species).

Have a look at the head and mouth of these poor fish and compare them to other normal fish - the mouth, head and body are deformed quite badly in all blood parrots. It really isn't fair to the poor things to have to live like that and I don't think you should support people breeding these things by buying any.

How about we try and come up with some suggestions for something nicer than these? What sort of tank were you thinking of setting up for these......size, water conditions, planted, not-planted etc.

I'm sure some of us on the board can come up with some better alternatives for you.

Cheers,

Jess

Thanks alot Jess but i just wanted to learn about them.. i wouldnt really pay $150 on a fish. At the moment i've got malawi and africans and i dont want anymore fish, i have enought for myself.

But thanks for the concern i was only curious.

I hear a freind say it is crossed bred with a severum and a red devil... true? not very sure..

These fish are BAD there is not one good thing about the blood parrot (and any other hybrids). Spend ure money on a decent type of american cichlid like severums Gts firemouths etc much better looking and also better for the hobby. Benno

Not sure exactly what their crossed with but I've heard sev and red devil, and for some reason i'm thinking there was another fish thrown into the mix as well...

def have the sev shape...not sure where the colours come from.

With a body shaped like that, I would expect them to have some pretty bad swim bladder probs when they get a little older, just liek goldfish.

As for how exactly their bred, I have no idea. i remeber someone on an o/s forum years ago attempting to breed these things with each otehr but the eggs kept staying infertile so he thought that they couldnt breed. If this is the case then it would suggest tehres the possibility of genetaic engineering and test tubes being used in order to ake these deformed things....

I wouldn't go past test-tube babies, by mixing milt and eggs artificially but there's no gene-eng involoved, chemical sterilisation is possible but sterility is a common sign of inbreeding, a horse crossed with a donkey gives a mule, which is an infertile hybrid.

The other good thing about infertile fish (from the breeders p.o.v) is that only the fish you bred them with will be able to reproduce them, the offspring won't reproduce so you control the market.

Avoid these fish, create your own instead.

is it just me or is there sumthing wrong with one of then sentence's that 23Skidoo has wrote

Avoid these fish, create your own instead.

Does this mean to Create you own Hybrid ? not trying to have a go at you Skidoo it might just be me misunderstanding your sentence

Vas,

Archived