bugger of a jag!

katanaone

just about to go to bed when i heard a big splash...

unsure.gif

earlier on today i moved my 11inch jag across the room to my hospital tank cos he looked like he was on his side.

his normal home (who he shares with an 8inch female jag) is across the room from my hospital tank which is right next to a fry tank with some lombardi in it.

the way i figure it is he has been watching the fry across the room and chucked a sicky in true aussie style, then got moved, waited for the lights to go out and then jumped in the fry tank!!!

there was heaps of fry in the tank so i don't really know the extent of his feast but he was in there for at least a minute or two until something told me to jump out of bed and check things out.

damn lucky, guess i should have invested in a lottery ticket today!

just thought i'd share.

funny!...funny!!...i'm sure if i was about 2cm in size living peacefully (not to mention safely) in my own tank i wouldn't pause to laugh when a monster more than 20 times my size landed at my place for dinner!...only kidding i was laughing too. we are definately some kind of sadists laugh.gifLOL.gif

he sure had me convinced he was done for when i put him in the hospital tank...bugger.

but credit goes where it is due and yep he's one smart fish alright.

Excuse my ignorance but you meant Jaguar cichlid right? (check out my sign up date...I'm still a noob tongue.gif ). So you mean to say he actually jumped out of the hospital tank and into the tank with fry? I thought only cuttlefish, squid etc. can only do this. Maybe fish are like dogs, some are smarter than others.

Great story LOL.gif

reminds me of the octopus' the scientists were studying..........

had some octopus in 1 tank and some crabs or fish in the other tank which was at least 3 or more metres away.

they couldn't work out why their crab tank kept losing numbers???????

the octopus was sneaking out at night through a very small gap in the tank. the security camera caught it.

he would amble over to the crab tank, climb in and go for his life (scoff on crabs) the when he was finished, would go back to "his" tank and chill cool.gif

took em awhile to work out.

now, how f$ckin smart is that!!!

i know they are not fish but still you must admire their intelligence.

can octopus be kept in tanks easily?????? i don't think so! although if possible i will look into their requirements, LOL.

adam thumb.gif

funny you should ask, i was talking to one of the guys at sydney aquarium the other day and he told me octo's need constant entertainment like a dog toy to stimulate their minds as they can literally die of boredom, i asked him if he was kidding and he replied if octo's are not mentally active they can go into a depressive state that may result in death due to stress. i do not know if i fully believed him but he was pretty adamant about it.

Squid would be a horrible experience in a tank, we used to try them in bait tanks like we would use for yellowtail and mullet but in the end decided the only option is keeping them in a fine net hung over the edge of the boat/jetty... Which meant you could only catch your bait where you need to use it, and not in advance.

Archived