Large Salmontail catfish

OscarTerror

with salmontails i think the big ones are slightly less mental than the small ones who spend their time crashing into the glass etc, so at 30cm there acting like normal catfish LOL.gif

yeh i know, i was just asking because my smaller ones are going nuts.. constantly....

so i guess its nothing to worry about, thanks

I had 3 salmontails over 40cm that were constantly on the move never sat still for a minute, then one day a customer traded one the same size that never moved in their tank but sat in the cnr.

I though by adding it to the ones i had would get it on the move with the other 3....

Wrong the others went and laid on top of it rolleyes.giflaugh.gif

Once that one was removed the others went back to normal behaviour smile.gif

laugh.gif Salmon Tails are crazy fish........

Mine are always swimming and crashing into the glass (sometimes it scares the crap out of me when im nearby). I have three (bought together) at ~15cm. Interesting thing is I moved one to another tank to help clean up after some archer fish. This cat would face the corner in the new tank and would not move staying on the bottom. When I moved him back with the other two he got his colur back and became active immediatly. Maybe yours Oscar Terror just need time to adjust to new surroundings.

• 2 weeks later...
Peacock Bass are stunning fish, in fact the largest member of the Cichlid family. Nice acquisition Oscarterror. thumb.gif Did you get just one? What else do you plan to keep in your 6x2x2?

i picked up another peacock bass for the 6x2 and also have a barra around 1ft and a few larger archers together with the salmontails

On Jewels of the rift lake doco on Tanganyika they show emperor cichlids which they said were the size of your arm so about 2 foot.. I thought that was massive,

but growing over 3 foot, well thats truly a tankbuster.. tongue.gif

The species of Peacock bass we have in aus isn't the biggest, their is a very similar species to our peacockbass that grows alot bigger. Here is a link to a pic of one: http://www.radersfishandgame.com/pbass2.jpg

Oh and just for general knowledge lepperfish the emporer cichlid is Boulengerochromis microlepis so they are the same fish as Cannula was talking about. I believe that the emporer cichlid resides in both lake malawi and tanganyika but i'm not sure if they have any different characteristics.

Anthony cool.gif

Archived