Brewers Yeast and Bakers Yeast

CThompson

Hi,

Asked the same question when doing a DIY CO2 System. What I was told is that Brewers yeast has a higher tolerance of alcohol and therefore will produce CO2 longer then standard Bakers yeast.

I do not believe this will have any effect on your worm culture, however our applications are very different. Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,

Chris

Hey Blakeyboyr,

That is very funny. ROFLMAO LOL.gifLOL.gif

One them makes them drunk the other makes them rise quickly. LOL.gifLOL.gif

I really dont know why people make it hard on themselves with adding this and that KISS (keep it stupid simple)

Craig I just use plain old rolled oats and water in a tupperware container:

Place oats into container add water squeeze out all the excess water place lid on container ready to use 2 days max. Make shore there are air holes in top of the container for airation. thumb.gif

HTH

Brett woot.gif

Yep me too. I just make up the rolled oats in warm water until it is sludgey, seed it with the old culture and Bob's your Uncle. Have had no problems at all. In fact was amazed the other night when I could see that the entire surface of the cultures was just swarming in microworms.

Please forgive my lack of experience but could someone tell me how to get started in this. Do I buy some worms from the LFS and drop some into a container full of oates???

How long before they breed?

I have just set up a 6 ft american tank full of fat hungry fish so I am interested in trying to raise as much food as I can for them at home.

Thay eat as much as I do and they are all still juvies!!!

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Some shops may stock a micro worm culture, don't know about the shops in your area. Give them a ring and find out. I imagine most people get a starter from other people in the hobby.

Micro worms are used as first food for very small fry, though larger fish will pick at them as they float past, they are too small to be of any benifit. Once they breed, that's another matter.

Craig

The volatility is different, bakers yeast reproduces faster. My Bro is a baker, i never thaught he'd become usefull for anything other than baking bread....hehe.

Anthony.

Scaley - Microworms are increadibly small - for fry not large fish (however larger fish will graze on them but it wouldn't fill them up)

So I'm not sure microworms would be what you're after. I could give you a culture to get started, you would have to arrange transport.

I do go to Caroline Springs from time to time and I beleive that's near Hillside?

Cheers

Richard

Archived