Substrate: Cleaning (008)

Ant

Sorry this may sound like a silly question but can you sython sand to clean it? i would have thaught that it wouldn't be possable because the sand will get sucked through the gravel cleaner itself. Can i please have some advice smile.gif.

Anthony cool.gif

PS: Ive decided on the filtration for my 6ft smile.gif. I purchased an OTTO canister 1800 lph and i will use my CF-1000 as well smile.gif.

I lightly siphon mine with a coke bottle syphon to spread the suction a bit. you lose a bit of sand each time but its easy to replace when the level drops a bit. The good thing about sand is it doesnt need much siphoning because the waste tends to sit on the sand rather than mixing in with it as it does with gravel. Just give it a bit of a stir with your hand every few weeks to clear any anaerobic patches.

Bob

If you want to siphon clean your sand substate, all you have to do is reduce the power of the water flow. I use an plastic Coke bottle with the bottom cut off, and the opening (where you drink from) is attached to my standard siphon hose. I hold the Coke end in my right hand, kinking the hose in my left to allow water flow of correct strength. If I see sand going up the hose, I kink it closed, and the sand falls back in the tank. I still lose a bit of sand, but after three + years, I can't tell the difference.

Craig

Hi Guys,

And dont use your mouth to start the water syphoning. There is a chance you could catch this. Mycobacterium marinum. For more information goto the technical forum on this site and have a little read.

Fish tanks & Human diseases, FYI sent in by novafishy.

DONT just think it will never happen too me either.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

Archived