What is up with my algae eaters dying

Barca888

I came home today to find my black ghost knife fish munching on my algae eater. A few months ago i had a yellow chinese algae eater die, a lil later i had recieved another and it also died :\. I have neons, clowns loaches, BGK, glowlight tetra, blue eyes, BN and an angel in a 140 litre aquarium. It is mostly covered by java moss/fern and it was 28 degrees when i came home.

Anyone have any idea why these buggers die on me ;\

thanks peter

Hi Peter,

Often (in the retail trade) when we get algae eaters in from the eastern states (50 odd per bag) I've found a lot looking sickly. I've found that by putting them in the tank and waving my hand back and forth to create water turbulence, most have come good.

What has this got to do with my fish, you ask.

Well, these guys need well oxygenated water (usually associated with fast flowing streams - hence the sucker mouth for attachment). If your tank water warmed too much and the dissolved O2 was insufficient, you would prob. lose your algae eater. Just a thought.

merjo

Thanks merjo, it does seem they look starved of oxygen in my tank :\ It could explain why my grandads goldfish tanks yellow algae eater was fine and when moved into my tropical tank died after a period of time. Cold water to warm water ;\

Thanks peter

Archived