Fry tank

catcher

G'day all,

I've had a mini baby boom at the moment. I have a mixture of Mbuna and Haps mums all with mouthfulls. I have one 3ftr that I grow my fry in, and it currenty has about 30ish 2cm fish in it, can I have the mums free swimming while they are early in holding and move them to nets when they get close to spitting?

Do you think they would cause any trouble with the free swimming fry at the moment? As chasing them as food should be out of the question since they are holding.

I'm trying really hard not to get another tank for the garage, HELP! LOL.gif

Please tell me it will be OK. huh.gif

cheers

glenn

sorry should have been more clear.

i got fry in with fry and the holding mums are separated with the DIY fry saver. Holding mums wont eat the fry. Just watch out after they spit, then theyll start trying to eat fry if u dont move them.

I know a lot of people would disagree with me. but build a fry saver. itll take a week before u can put the silicon glue in the water with your fish. get the mother, strip her after 2.5 weeks and throw her back in the main tank.

Thats what id do.

I have had holding females spit/swallow eggs to eat fry before. It will happen, depending on the fish and how experienced they are at breeding

glenn, make up some fry savers for the mums. its just easier that way. if you make them up today you can use them tomorrow no worries. for non structural work you can use the silicon in 24 hours or so. leave her there till she spits and you will have no worries whatsoever. I would strongly recommend you don't bother stripping unless you really need to. its just not neceassary.

I WOULD NOT use silicon glue wuth the fish till after 7 days. I bought 'sellys' and it said it will dry after 24 hours but its not safe with fish till after 7 days on the package.

Even after 7 days once you put it oin water i noticed a thin film of by products that gets omitted, every time.

IMO better to be safe then very very sorry. Its a bad feeling losing fry.

Thanks all,

The way I'm going at the moment the surface will be covered over with fry savers!

I'll have to book parking spaces for them! LOL.gif

cheers

glenn

Hi Guys,

I agree with Gav on this you can use your fry saver next day. I have made up a fry saver in the morning and have used the new fry saver that night. No problems.

Dont know what your doing Mike but I use fry savers all the time make them up put them in next day. I have never had any problems at all. Most silicon cures within 24 hours and are non toxic. I would only use Aquarium Silicon only.

Check the back of the container if you are buying from BBC or just buy it from and aquarium shop.

Even after 7 days once you put it oin water i noticed a thin film of by products that gets omitted, every time.

This could be coming from the fish food as most have some form of oil in it. I get this when I feed OSI food and HBH to my fry.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

ive never tried it the day after as it specifically says on the package NOT to use it until 7 days with livestock. Yes, its specifically aqaurium silicon glue for glass and aqaurium safe.

The film isnt fish food, i think its some kind of acid that get disloved into the water from the silcon. It looks like small traces of oil, but it obviosly isnt oil.

What kind of silicon glue do you use, Gavin and Brett?

Hi Guys,

I use V12. I get it from Fish4u it is a very good product.

I still believe it is oils in the food even I get it. I have bred over 100 species of different fish so imagine how many fry savers I have been through.

I have never lost fry because of the silicon.

HTH

Brett woot.gif

Interesting hey brett. I have managed to use it to breed over 40 species of fish and always use them the day after. have been doing it for years. I use selleys silicone myself. reckon the test of time seems to be the way to evaluate stuff glenn, and the test of time shows there is no ill effects.

Well ive only ever managed to breed 2 species of fish.

Gavin, have you ever read the packaging? If youve never had a probl;em with it, then youve never had a problem with it..........

Surely its on the packaging for a good reason though..........

i believe that its on the packaging cos it is talking about structural use on aquariums, it takes a week to get full structural strength. I am pretty sure it doesnt say a word about problems with livestock on it. I read it once and never again, that was a loooong time ago. since I never had a problem I can't say I looked again thumb.gif

:edited for shocking grammar

I totally agree with Gavin,Brett and Paul that you can use the silicone in 12 hours time with no ill effects on your fish or water. clap.gif

The oil skim is definately not from the silicone.

As stated Mike, when using silicone for structural strength - it takes a week to cure, but for fry savers 12 hours only. wink.gif

I have been using the silicone for many years now and never had a problem. I don't believe you need the glass/glazing silicone either. I have been using Plumbers roofing and guttering silicone for years - even on tank repairs. thumb.gif

WAZ.

In regards to these fry savers: would it be worthwhile using a clear Tupperware-type container, say a 5L size, and drilling 2ml holes around it for the waterflow???

I'm not 100% on how to construct the ones being discussed here, with the silicon etc. unsure.gif

Archived