UV Sterilisers

PHL

After a spate of infection (Ich, then Argulus, then something unknown, possibly bacterial) and fish loss in my display tank, I'm seriously considering installing a UV steriliser. I'm wondering if they would help prevent parasitic infection, and would they kill off snails as well. For those that have them, have you noticed any difference?

I dont know much about using them on tanks , i dont use them myself. Sorry to hear about your losses , have you checked you water parameters something must be stessing them out to compromise their immune system or maybe you just had some bad luck lately. I was thinking of getting one just to get rid of algea in my pond but very expensive to buy and run so ill just keep doing it by hand. Like i said maybe the cash you are going to use on uv sterilizer would be better used on more filtration for your system , you can never hav too much of that "my opinion only" :blink

Hope things look up for you whichever course you follow ;)

Hi -

UV sterilisers only work well in systems were the water from multiple tanks is pooled (and this is their main use).

Although they would probably reduce the severity of any ich outbreaks in single tanks.

So in answer to your question... I wouldn't recommend them for a single tank (more cause I dont think they are necessary)... but I regard them as absolutely essential where tanks are joined via central filtration.

HTH -

Sorry to hear about your losses , have you checked you water parameters something must be stessing them out to compromise their immune system or maybe you just had some bad luck lately.

Yeah, water parameters checked and rechecked; nothing (although I don't have a Cl test, just the usual Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, even tested kH and gH, pH is monitored due to CO2 injection). Had a massive die off initially, over 3-4 days, lost 5 Rummy noses, 8 Cardinals, 2 SAE. Did a water change, gradually lost another Rummynose, 2 Cardinals, 2 Congos, another SAE, this time over a week. Finally lost another Congo and a Clown loach. Did yet another water change, and so far so good for the past 2 days...

Fish looked fine one day, dead overnight... Don't even dare to restock at present; fortunately being a planted tank, it doesn't look so obvious that there is a problem. Thought it might have been due to re-planting, but a 50% water change was done after that, so any nutirients should have been removed.

I use to use one, but have stopped as they are quite expensive to maintain. The UV tube has an effective life span of 6 months and needs to be replaced.

If your having trouble with diseases in your tanks, it's best if you set up a quarantine tank for new fish and treat them for any signs of illness before introducing them to your main tank.

UV is also useful in tanks where you are removing and adding a lot of fish (hi turnover) because it can be difficult to have good biosecurity on these kinds of tanks.

If your tank is establised and well maintained and you dont add new fish, then it is unlikely that you will have any major disease issues to worry about. UV is good in high turnover tanks because it will kill off any water born pathogens. Just remember - if you install one - it should be installed on the outlet of another filter. The cleaner the water entering a UV, the better the results of the sterilisation.

Cheers

WW :unsure

i dont know anything at all about co2 injection what are oxygen levels like when using it

Towards the end of the day, probably over 100%; it bubbles out of solution around the leaves.

If your having trouble with diseases in your tanks, it's best if you set up a quarantine tank for new fish and treat them for any signs of illness before introducing them to your main tank.

That's what's puzzling; I haven't added any new fish or plants in over 2 months. That's why I'm not even sure if it's disease.

That's just what I was going to say. At night you have heaps more CO2 in your aquarium (CO2 injector and plants) so maybe there is a lack of O2 during this time.

CO2 and O2 exist independently of each other in water, ie you can have 100% O2 and 20% CO2 (as an example). The CO2 injection is not new, and has been going for over 6 mths; in fact at a lower level now that at the beginning as I found I didn't need as much to still get O2 supersaturated (and this saves some CO2).

Just remember - if you install one - it should be installed on the outlet of another filter. The cleaner the water entering a UV, the better the results of the sterilisation.

Thanks for the tip; will keep that in mind if I end up going that way. At present, I'll just monitor.

Archived