4x2x2

r.d.m

i know this is an old topic thats been done to death , but has anyone out there had a 4x2x2 on a timber floor? i know we have had engineers and an interesting post on joist sistering, but can i hear from someone whos done it and any precautions theve taken, thanks.

I have a 4x2x2 on a wooden floor, its parallel with the floorboards so across the joists to spread the weight, no problemo

Just remember that the strongest part of the floor/beams is closest to the wall.

Like what was said, just make sure the tank is spread across maximum amount of beams to ensure a sufficient spread of the weight and i think you shouldnt have any problems at all.

Although its never silly to be too safe and have it checked out by a proffesional.

Just remember that the strongest part of the floor/beams is closest to the wall.

This is not neccesarily true. The closer to the end of the joist span you are the better, and that will be at the external walls, but probably not at the internal walls.

For what it is worth I reckon any tank bigger than standard 4 footer due to weights involved you should check the layout of the bearers and joists and consider stregthning. Get a professional to do this. Either a builder or structural engineer.

Stephen

thanks for the replies guys, im now confident that this has been done, my floor is yellow tongue sheet on steel piers and currently has a standard 6 footer on it. with the new tank(4x2x2 ,10mm glass, heritage cabinet and hood,$500 bali blue aquarium , penrith) ill install it with a sheet of 12mm ply under it and overlapping the edges to spread the weight. ill post a photo if i can get my 10 year old to show me how!

Archived