stripping or leaving in breeding net?

prince

i have a female Fuelleborni with mouthfull of fry

should i strip the female or leave it in a breeding net because it is stress now

Cichlids_au said

The plural of fry is fry, not fries. Same as the plural of sheep is sheep not sheeps  wink.gif

i would leave it in the breeding net, i have a electric yellow with a moutfull in a isolation box for over a week now i placed a small cave inside the box and she seems a lot calmer now , im not sure you could do that with your net but maybe some floating agpipe might do the trick.

cheers

if you leave it in a breeding net and she spit the fry out wont the other fish try and stuck the fry out?

and when you catch the mother will she spit the fry out

Cichlids_au said

The plural of fry is fry, not fries. Same as the plural of sheep is sheep not sheeps  wink.gif

if you leave it in a breeding net and she spit the fry out wont the other fish try and stuck the fry out?

depends on the size, species and temperment of the other fish in the tank.

and when you catch the mother will she spit the fry out?

not all will do this, only fish that get used to this after a few times will spit when caught or shown a toothpick/matchstick etc.

i prefer to leave the mothers to spit unless complications occur.

if i have to strip them the way i strip them is place the fish in a deep chinese food container with water from the tank. then i hold the fish lightly between my fingers and palm (with one hand) with its mouth and most of her head under water, next very carefully!!! insert the toothpick into her mouth slowly whilst making sure you maintain a firm but light grip on her, try to insert the toothpick along the sides of her mouth and work it toward the center. remember not to force it in at any time be very gentle after all it is a very stressful experience for the mothers. also use only bluntened instruments to strip the mouthfuls.

after the process is finished place the mother into a spare tank to recoup for awhile before placing her back in the original tank.

Archived