line breeding

BLACKBAR

just wanna know peoples views on linebreeding read the otherday on a post about a breeder that tried to linebreed the black out of electric yellows. well i have kept about four fry that really stood out from last batch of fuelleborni one looks like it may be a marmalade cat and two other females that are very nicely coloured not that faded looking cream with black but a really bright ob colouration but not to the extent of looking male and one male that didnt come out right his fins are yellow slightly orange and a really nice blue colouration but alo has a slight yellow colouration below the jaw. he is an awesome looking male. is it wrong to breed him and the brightest looking females??? would his colouration carry on to the next generation?? is this linebreeding???? any help appreciated

In my opinion linebreeding is O.K!

It basically means that you choose attributes that you want in your fish and cull any offspring that don't display these attributes, at intervals (every few generations) it is a must (in my opinion) to refresh the gene pool by breeding in a selected fish (with a different genetic heritage). This fish should also show the attributes you want but since it hasn't been a part of your program it probably won't show the trait as strongly as desired. This is a good way to prevent deformities through inbreeding.

Just remember that in the wild fish inbreed, because the area they grew up in is also populated by their siblings and when they sexually mature their siblings will mature at the same time, this is why a fish from one location (eg:Pulu point) will display different colouration/form to the same species of fish from another location (eg:Simbu island). In large populations that are geographically isolated it may take hundreds/thousand of years to develop this line breed, but by using a fish tank and carefull selection it can be achieved in a few generations.

This is just the tip of the ice berg, so hunt around some more and you should find a few articles about someones line-breeding program. Just by flicking through those you should get the gist.

And i say go for it with your fish, just don't pass on any offspring you wouldn't buy yourself. Not everyone is interested in line bred fish.

Goodluck :B

In nature, the strongest individuals are usually attracted to each other - ie. the strongest coloured male will attract more mates. So to a certain extent, line breeding occurs naturally. The brightest males are more likely to breed and pass on that attribute.

merjo

yeh thats what i thought 23 im gonna have to find other with similar traits ive been collecting fuelleborni from several different people and ive noticed a few different varieties i want to try sepearte these varieties and try improve the look of each one with each consecutive generation. im doing my best to get a blue female and fingers crossed this is a marmalde cat that i have so anyone out there with fuelleborni pm me i'll be interested

G'day Blackbar

My opinion is to line breed according to what the fish look like in the wild. Otherwise you end up with fish like Eureka Reds. They look nothing like the original fish and who knows what they are.

By the way in Lake Malawi the Electric Yellows have no extra black on them. Hence why you really should try and breed out the extra "dirty" black markings that are increasingly appearing on our Electric Yellows.

dirty black markings?? are you talking about markings on the body or the black fins???? coz i heard this guys was linebreeding to get rid of the black in the fins.. :(

with all the varieties of fuelleborni in the wild it is hard to linebreed them back to there original states without having some goood pictures of the original stocks that were brought into the country ive been researching but i need some help in getting some old photos of the fuellborni we used to have because now it is as if we have just one type of fuellborni that is a mix of all the old varieties we had where are the red top males??? where are the blue females??? need some help with this but im gonna do my best to obtain as many specimens as i can

G'day Blackbar

The "dirty black" markings I am talking about are on the moustache/face and the tail. These are both areas that an electric yellow should not have any black on.

However I do not agree with trying to breed out all of the black in these fish. I think the black fins (not in the tail) make a lovely contrast with the bright electric yellow colour.

I would hope that your friend tries to breed the fish as they appear in nature.

Regarding the fuellborni I am sorry but I don't know much about these lovely fish :( Best of luck, keep on searching and I am sure you will find someone else that is doing the same thing, either here or overseas. ;)

Archived