pimafix

katanaone

Hey,

Pimafix is the only medication i use. It was recommended to me by someone on the board, and i reckon its works alright. Like melafix, its more preventative than a full blown cure for anything, but if i see one fish getting sick, i start adding pimafix and it usually clears up the problem. Dosage is 5ml per 40L, think u can also buy an industrial strength one as well which is ofcourse more concentrated. I have just ordered another bottle of pimafix as my first is nearly out.

Has anyone tried DIY Pimafix???? Pimenta Racemosa oil (active ingredient) is available to buy from aromatherapy stores. Dont have prices as we dont have an aromatherapy store here, but would be interested to find out what the costs are for it.

thanks for the reply with the dosage rate(same as melafix), i was under the impression that pimafix and melafix were treatments rather than preventatives as they treat cuts and fungal infections etc. as its a bit hard to prevent cuts anyway but maybe they do have some preventative properties as well. i've done a fair bit of research on melaluca oil since that post on diy melafix and have started to make my own as well but i haven't come and diy mixtures for pimafix...yet.

Yeah, i guess it can be treated as a treatment. But i think its more preventative than anything. If i have a fish that has a bad internal infection, i never think pimafix will heal it, i would use something stronger (if my LFS actaully stocked meds other than multicure). But if i catch it early enough, it usually cures the problem. I usually use it constantly in my tanks, cause soon as i stop using it, i seem to get infections.

So yeah, really good as a preventative, and only a mild medication for treatment, thats the way i see it anyway.

If you mix Pimafix and Melafix at the same time it is supposed to treat all bacterial and fugus.

The reasons these natural products are starting to be produced is because in the not too distant future things like methylyne blue, malachite green etc will not be allowed to be used, banned in some countries allready. unsure.gif

ok just a few questions....

iv never tried the BIY melafix before so correct me if im wrong but if its made from oil wont that not mix with water?

also i know most medicines can kill the bacteria colony in the filter, does melafix or pemafix do this too?

also after dosing should u still put carbon in your filter to get riid of the excess med?

the melafix bottle suggests to do a 25% waterchange after treating for a week. personally i find this works well and if you want to be even more thorough you can do a further 25% waterchange two days from then aswell. as for it affecting the bacteria in the filter i have had no probs...i suppose thats one of the reasons for the waterchange.

Archived