Tang Tank

elise007

Hi all,

Finally getting around after 6 months of rebuilding my 6*2*2 approx, 1,000 litres, and am setting it up as a Tang display tank.

So far have put 40kilo of coral sand fine and and less fine in and about 120kg of white rock, still doesn't go anywhere near to filling it.

As for fish i already have the followign types,

Frontosa

Calvus

Gold Comps

Multifasciatus

Plecos, Gibbicepts etc (yes i know there not Tangs but heh)

Julidichromis Transcriptus Kolumbo

I am thinking of moving my Nigripinnis and Cyps into the tank but am a bit worried that unlike the Multis they wont hide in the rocks and sheels and will get gobbled up by the Frontosas.

Other fish am considering are soem featherfins, would love to put 8 - 10 of them in for contrast and also maybe some Tropheus.

Anyway if anyone has any good ideas on what would be happy in there and add to the tank let me know please.

Filtration there is heaps and i can do water changes very simply due to all being hard plumbed and prefiltered before it gets refilled.

Mark

Frontosa

Calvus

Gold Comps

Multifasciatus

Plecos, Gibbicepts etc (yes i know there not Tangs but heh)

Julidichromis Transcriptus Kolumbo

1. I am thinking of moving my Nigripinnis and Cyps into the tank but am a bit worried that unlike the Multis they wont hide in the rocks and sheels and will get gobbled up by the Frontosas.

2. Other fish am considering are soem featherfins, would love to put 8 - 10 of them in for contrast and also maybe some Tropheus.

Hi Mark,

your list of fish looks very interesting but there are a few things that you may need to re-consider in a Tang-Tank. Things like Juli's and Neo-multi's sharing a tank could be a recipe for a blood-bath when the groups expand their turf/family.

1. Problem with having Cyp's and Paracyp's in a tank with Fronty's is that primarily Fronty diets consist of Paracyp's & Cyp's...so not and advisable grouping.

Also the idea of putting 2 different Alto's in a tank together just scares the B'jeezuz outta me, even if you are not intending to breed them it seems like such a waste. There are many "Dodgy" Alto's out there and if you are lucky enough to have good ones it is important to keep them pure and give them the best chances to spawn.

2.As for the featherfis, I understand them to be fairly timid and colourless unless in spawning-colours. and I doubt that they would be happy enough spawning in a community tank...meaning you will have a few silvery-looking fish in your (650Ltr...not 1000Ltrs) tank.

Also...Please, do not get some Tropheus to add to the community. The diet required by the Front and Alto's is totally different to that neded by the Tropheus to be happy and healthy

I have some O. nasuta getting around with my fronties without any probs. I guess that Maz's point about them being mostly silver coloured for a lot of the time may be overshadowed by their unique shape...I agree with him about not adding Tropheus spp.....you may be asking for problems..

merjo smile.gif

Appreciate the repsonses to the questions,

As noted in my original post i said 6*2*@ approx as that is easier way to describe, exact size is actually,

72*28*32 = 1,000 litres pretty much exactly

Sorry abotu the confusion, should have jsut stated the exact size, but a big weekend was had down in Melbourne.

You also kindly answered the question that i was worried about that being the nigs and cyps gettign gobbled by the Frontosa, hence the reason they had not yet been added.

As for the multis and the julies there is tons of hiding spaces and they can sort it out for themselves. They are all babies i bred from and the parents are in my fish room.

The pojnt about the Gold Comps and Calvus is warranted, but as that same person mentioned they are awesome looking fish hence i want some inmy display tank. If i am lucky enough to get them to pair up i amy pull the pair out to breed, althgouh i have got 50 odd baby calvus and they are still just gettign to saleabel size 6 - 9 months later and i just don't have the tank space to wait that long to grow up fry.

In fact i am seriosuly considerign puttign about 20 - 30 of the babies into the big tank and growing them up and selling them at a larger size.

As for the TRopheus, i thgouht that comment might raise some eyebrows, but it is interesting that when i was feeding my Tropheus purely on spirulina fake and vegies i had about three cases of bloat and dead fish.

When i swapped them over to a mixture of normal flake and spirulina togehter, same as all my other fish get, I have had no problems whatsoever and they started breeding. "It was an LFS that has and breeds Tropheus that told me to swap the diet after my last case of bloat".

So as for diet my Tropheus might be ina different tank but they are already gettign a diet very similar to my Frontosas etc anyway. If Nigel reads this he will probably aquirm but i can only judge on my experience that since the change to a mix of OSI Spirulina, OSI brine shrimp and OSI cichlid flake they have never looked better and have not been sick once.

Any suggestions on what other fish to add are still welcome and the responses are appreciated.

Mark

Hi Mark,

I think a nice, big tank like yours will make a great Tang-Comm tank. It will just require a bit of fiddling and time to get it "spot-on" as all Tang-Comm tanks do, I think. Good luck with it, I'm sure it will look spectacular.

As for the dietary change on your Tropheus...I am glad that works for you and that everything worked out OK. Diet is not the only cause/reason why Tropheus get sick with Bloat and is not the only reason I do not think they suit a Comm-tank.

As a suggestion...have you considered something a bit rarer than the Juli's and getting some Chailinochromis instead? Similar shape and look also similar when they are spawning/breeding but they get to be a decent size(16cm) that will help fill that big tank.

The concerns I raised B4 were not mentioned to deride...rather to raise them and nothing more.

HTH

Archived