2ft planted tank

foai

I want to set up a small planted tank. I am thinking of a 24 x 18 x 14 type size with some CO2. I will probably only stock it with a few peppermint bristlenose.

What kind of filter should I use? I would normally buy an aquaclear mini but I find that the glass on the top has to be cut separately to accomodate it which is not easy.

Can anyone recommend a preferred filter for this type of setup?

David

Well personally i like HOB's in small tanks for the plain fact they dont take up room in the tank (cause there isnt much there to begin with). So your only other options are a internal or canister. One of those resun internals would be ok, they are pretty small. Or ofcourse a canister would be great if ya can afford it.

Well it depends on whether your focus is on the plants or the fish.

If you have sufficient light , etc to maintain good plant growth then you probably don't need to filter it at all, provided the fish load is small and you perform regular water changes.

Just a power head for water circulation tongue.gif

Cheers

Brett

I have been reading a book by a Japanese guy called "Nature Aquarium World". It is essentially a book on designing and setting up planted tanks. For tanks this size he also uses a powerhead so I think that is what I will go with.

I do have a spare canister filter that I won at the last NSWCS auction but I think it would be much too powerfull.

Cheers

David

I have been reading a book by a Japanese guy called "Nature Aquarium World". It is essentially a book on designing and setting up planted tanks. For tanks this size he also uses a powerhead so I think that is what I will go with.

Amano uses canister filters (usually with fine hand-drawn glass intake and outlet so they are virtually invisible in his tanks). He actually takes out his CO2 and filter inlets/outlets for his photographs.

Personally I use a canister, as I need to water flow (growing plants need a constant supply of nutrients flowing past). In addition I have a powerhead for the CO2 reactor.

My wife tried a planted tank with a HOB filter; no where near as good. When she finally went with a canister, the difference was amazing due to the better circulation.

Depends on the flow rate; if sufficient, then yes. The advantage of canister is you can clean it without disturbing the tank. I also found the internal filter needing more frequent cleaning.

• 1 month later...

The problem with a hang on the back style filter in relation to a planted tank is that it causes a vertical circulation movement within the tank, with will assist in blowing off the co2 at the tank’s surface. Canister style filters can have their returns organised so that the are close to the bottom, and cause a horizontal water movement in the tank, which will lessen the amount of co2 lost by coming into contact with the surface of the tank.

As has been stated, a tank of this size with a small bio load, will not really need a filter at all provided there is some water movement.

You will limit the number of plant species you can keep by houseing peppermint bristlenose.

Craig

• 2 weeks later...

You will limit the number of plant species you can keep by houseing peppermint bristlenose.

I've actually found that the Peps don't seem to cause any problems assuming you have enough space (and 2' is definitely NOT enough); Clown Loaches are bigger problems WRT plant damage.

Archived