sick fish

BengaBoy

:p:

have one Kasanga Red Rainbow female not herself. remainder of colony seem perfectly ok.

initial symptom was slight pop-eye about a week ago, along with slight inactivity and careful eating.

a few days before this she was doing some fairly serious spawning activity over two days. when I first saw the careful eating i thought she might have a few eggs.

last Saturday I caught her and she has no eggs. she is now in a hospital tank - sulking. not eating at all.

she is a little swollen around the gonads. her buccal cavity has dropped and looks like she is holding, but she isnt. She is chewing her cud, like she is tumbling eggs. The pop-eye is a little more pronounced now.

optimistic diagnsis: egg bound?

pessimistic diagnosis: early stages of dropsy?

at the moment I am just treating the tank with epsom salts. and I have given her a shot of Clout.

any ideas out there?

Hi Steve,

I know that melafix will solve the "pop-eye" prob. (the symptom but not the cause if it is gas bubble disease) but whether this was caused through illness or injury is hard to know. I had an electric yellow that appeared to be holding and wasn't but I never knew why. She came right on her own but it still remains a mystery.

merjo (aka wys)

Pop eye is usually caused by a bacterial infection, causing the head to swell and the eyes to protrude. Treatment is difficult and should only be attempted with valuable fish. Remove the fish to a quarantine tank and treat with an antibiotic.

----

Popeye also known as exophthalmial. This condition is caused by a wide range of factors including, bacterial infections, parasite infestations, poor water quality, and internal metabolic system disorders.

----

Treatment is known to be hard with this disease, you may try a broad spectrum antibiotic. Make sure to seperate the fish from the others asap. Some people said they just put the fish to rest, just a thought, that should be your last option, but... medication for this disease has not really proven to work.

Goodluck... :angry:

Archived