silver aro hurting itself

johnwilly1000

Get some silicon tubing (like the stuff you use to siphon water) and slit it lengthwise. Use it to line all your cross bars and sidebars. Just push it on and it will stay in place. Why don't you also drain the water level to 3/4 depth and/or use some floating vegetation too?

Guest african-au

i had the same problem with my silver arowana,every morning i would wake up he had missing scales, scars etc ets

i actually used my old foam base & sliced lenghths 2cm wide & about 6x

1ft lengths as i have a 4x2x2 !

no need to silicone as foam sticks to the top of glass when wet

apply foam underneath the top of the frame of tank, not the actual lids!!!

every now & then one may fall back into tank,but thats when the arowana has jumped!

i'm happy & my arowana is clean of missing scales etc etc

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the alternative, if you cannot lower water level due to biological set up as the weir is not adjustable woot.gif

but if you are running canister filter it would be wise to lower your water level at least 10cm

where there is a will theres a way

good luck johnwilly thumb.gif

cheers

chris

hi african

thanks for advice very good idea but shouldn't i just glue it on that way it stays there, whats downside to gluing it?

the reason why i dont lower water level is because its a display tank and i dont like to look at the tank when the water line is below hood level because u can see the top lids. my opinion but i think looks a lot better when water level is same as the hoodfront piece.

Guest african-au

hi johnwilly if you need to glue it just use silicone!

there is realy no need to silicone the foam as it stays up preety well,,as for water level hmmmm i understand about your tank being a display tank,,maybe you can lower your hood to accomodate your water level.

i know i can lower mine at least 4cm in my display tank.

its only a matter of moving 4 little peices of timber.

cheers

chris

its not that easy to lower my hood cause its a 8x2ft hood, besides if i lower my hood than my tank looks too low compared to my cabinet therefore i'll skip that idea.

Im very picky with my display tank lol. i like it just perfect

do u think when i put styrofoam underneath tank and having the water level so high would make the styrofoam drop constantly cause of aro splashing water around, reason im asking is i havn't started doing that yet, being too busy and all.

i was thinking of doing all this on holidays or if have spare time on weekend do it.

Guest african-au

if you are worried about styro falling then maybe you should put some spots of silicone to hold styro in place

i would love to take a pic of my silver arowana but

unfortunetly i dont have a digy cam blink.gif

cheers

chris

• 3 weeks later...

hey fish dance,

i still dont understand how u use plastic tubing to put on top rails, can u send pics of how u would do this or something, thanks

im at the moment doing wat african au told me which is using foam on the rails, its good and all but i'd still like to know how your way works

Archived