Water Changes

tricky

Im just wonering what conditioner or chemicals everyone uses with their water changes. Im using Aqua Plus at the moment but have just about run out and want to buy in bulk. So im trying to gain a general idea on what is best and what everyone reccomends.

Thanks Ricky

Many people here use ACN water ager from Age of Aquariums. It's very inexpensive and seems to work for us.

It was discussed here:

Other thread

edit: - I found the other thread now

moderators: maybe we should make this an FAQ item?

I used to use Wardley Tri-Start but have just (this week) switched to stress coat. Unfortunaltely the dosage rate is way higher, Tri-Start is 5ml to 250l whereas Stress coat is 5ml to 40l!!!?!

I might have to check out the ACN stuff.

Is 'stress coat' actually a water conditioner? I thought it was more a secondary treatment to aid in fishes healing and developing their slime coats. And I think it neutralises some ammonia? BUt what about chlorine/chloramine? I havent had that stuff for years, maybe its changed?

it removes chlorine, neutralizes chloramines and detoxifies heavy metals.

its a top product, you should use it because it has alot of purposes and benifets.

As opposed to ACN, Prime and SAFE? I dunno, I reckon they are pretty handy products themselves.

Thanks for all your responses. More confused than before on what to buy now! Joking. Ill go shopping at Bens and see whats worth what. I was with Ducksta on the stress coat though. I thought it was to aid injured fish and to strengthen there slime coat after being netted etc.

You can tell Stress Coat has aloe in it, the damn stuff is so thick it's like blended aloe leaves! Echo the heavy metals/chlorine/chloromine comments, so long as the label is accurate.

my fish didn't die from using just stress coat today, though we only have weak chlorine up here and no chloromine

hi

I use super strength tap water conditoner

removes chlorine and detoxifies heavy metals also breaks chlormine bond

1.25ml does 75.7l of aquarium water.

one bottle 480ml treats 36,336l of water and its pretty cheap $12-15 a bottle 480ml

I aslo use some aqua plus to keep the slime protection of my fish

i works gr8 for myself

i have used quite a few products but i find that aqua plus does the trick and i get the 2L bottle for pretty cheap. it treats about 15,120 liters (4000 u.s. gallons) and it removes chlorine, chloramine, and protects scales and fins. how does this rate against products others use considering i buy it for around $25 and 5ml treats 37.8L

Hey Tricky,

I use, (and believe me was very sceptical with their claims to start with),

Easy-Life,Fluid Filter Medium.

It comes from the Netherlands and you can get it through Ben at AOA. Go to their website and read the blerb, but I have had nothing but good results. Super clear water after the product takes affect, nasties removed and the fish seem to be it tip top condition.

That's just my experience with it anyway.

cheers

glenn

Hi Guys =

I'd recommend Prime, Tri-Start or Safe.

Many others have low dosage rates. My cynical suspicion is these products contain (more or less) the same chemical at different concentrations (though some also contain aloe vera, jojoba essence, eye of newt, ear of bat etc as well).

I've also had good success with a variety of the products made for ponds (and therefore more concentrated).

HTH -

Archived