difference in toga species

Peter_Gun_Riff

leichardtis develop their front mouth barbels as they mature, where as the jardinis get them when they are born.

jardinis have a body shape closer to the much sought after asian arowana, than its cousin.

i have a baby jardini, and it is an awesome to see it eat. laugh.gif

I have never seen any price difference, but I haven't checked out pricelists for a couple of years. I think the price difference mentioned is with the non-native arowana...

In fact, most of the time, species is irrelavent as they are only bought/sold as saratoga, and in alot of stores I have visited when asked which species the toga is, they misidentify it, and that is with a 50/50 chance.

The differences are pretty obvious if you have good pics of both species you can identify them quite easily. leichardti also grow larger than jardini. jardini are popular worldwide for being the smallest of the arowana.

jardini certainly are my favorite arowana anyway, and IMO most of the larger species shouldn't be housed in home aquariums as they are rarely done any real justice. I am working on a tank for one now, but it will be a stretch of my budget, and my mum's forgiveness laugh.gif

definately jardini better,

better looknig better colour,

lichardti i use to own people would come over and say that fish looks like a mullet.

whereas the jardini people give good comments.

i went to underwater world at sunshine coast in brisbane and saw about 20 fully grown jardini all about 1 metre long. unbelievable sight they are massive.

PGR, best to give Lams a call before you go to see whether they have any jardinis. last time i was there about 2 wks ago, they had none. last time Lams had a leichardti, it was around $100 for a 12-13cm one.

a jardini would probs fetch around $150 for a similar sized. you might find it cheaper if you shop around. try the shops down at canley vale. they usually have some, tho not the last time i was there about 2 wks ago. happy findings!

Archived