Two Headed Fish?

Josh

:o

I was striping one of female saulosi's today and noticed that one of the fry had two heads! Before any one complians it has already been feed back to the other fish. I was just wondering if this is common, or is it bad breeding stock. I have made the effort to get fish from differnet places. It is the female third spawn and I have never noticed any like this before, nore have any of our other females had this problem.

:^:

Josh and Evelyn

Hi Josh,

I have heard of this before. I remember it being posted on the forum with pictures too. Was about three years ago. Can't remember the type of fish.

I don't think you would have too much to worry about. Only if you were getting large numbers each spawn. Keep an eye on that female. Next time she spawns see if you get any two headed fry.

lol .... grow it up and sell to riplys beleave it or not on the gold coast as a display fish aquarium

james

Two-headed fish are basically examples of conjoined twins (AKA "Siamese" twins, named after the famous twins Chang and Eng). Identical twins form when an early embryo splits into two entities and the two seprate bunches of cells go on to produce two identical animals. With conjoined twins they have started to split but did not split completely so the two twins are still joined together at some point. In the case of your two headed fish, they started splitting down the head but the split didn't get any further.

I would think this would just be a freakish occurence - happens occasionally in other species (there are a few 2-headed turtles and snakes in existence) and I wouldn't expect that the female would continue to produce such fry. It's not likely to be a genetic problem, it's a mistake in development.

HTH

Cheers,

Jess

hahaha you beat me to it griffin :) i was also going to say siamese twins as ive had it happen just once with one of my fish were the female was totally unrelated to the male and Mick im sickened every time i go into Heinze's shop and see that freak in the tank..very cruel i think.. :)

I'd like to do some experiments with fish in this condition, regarding dominance (which head rules) and also mate selection experiments, to see if their form is accepted or not, if anyone else gets fry like this in the near future (next coupla months) i'd be happy to come and get them from you.

Archived