Keyhole cichlids

YeW

Seem an underrated cichlid. I've kept these fish a few times and have always been very fond with them.

I am considering setting up a 3x18" densly planted tank in my lounge room with a pair of keyholes :).

Does anyone keep them anymore? I've spawned this fish a number of times but never raised the fry beyond 2-3 days. Anyone have any experiences with breeding this fish?

Cheers -

Hi YeW,

I have two pair but, as yet, they have not spawned (still immature I feel). I agree with you. They are highly underrated and a great little fish. I have had probs in the past with two females pairing up to the exclusion of the males in the tank. They've "played house", laid eggs and defended them ;): . Very frustrating all round!!

The main reason why I wanted to give breeding them a go, is because after years of working in the trade, I was sad to see a procession of "weak" specimens coming through (from AI) :) .

Good luck with them. I'll let you know how mine go.

merjo

Keyholes are wonderful fish and have a charm all of their own. I've kept them a few times with Curviceps but unfortunately always lost them over time. I've found them very very shy and reasonably difficult to keep as they are very easy stressed.

My attempts at breeding werent successful although I had pairs going through the courting process, clearing spawning areas etc but nothing eventuated. They died for no apparent reason. I was keeping them in a quite small Aqua1 self contained tank but I'd love to try them again in a larger more controlled environment. I've advertised a few times to buy them but had no response and havent seen any around.

Hope theyre not lost to the hobby?

Nick

YeW I would have to agree with you, Keyholes are very underated. I think its due to the fact that they are not really seen as compatible with any other cichlids. You would not want to keep them with any big cichlids but you wouldnt want to keep them with anything small, such as rams, although they would be compatible with many species; Sajica, Spilurus, Lionheads and so on. Keyholes do look nice and I have considered them a few times but i would have to put a whole tank aside. Also I hear they are very interbred.

Alistair

I had a read of the profile on this site last night and it has made me very interested in this fish ... If i had an xtra tank i beleive this would b the fish of choice ... I like Shy fish and this sounds like it takes the cake ...

Underated: i dont think anything is as underrated as convicts ... My first cichlid and i hav a soft spot for them ... Lovely little fish ...

Ta :)

Hamza

• 2 weeks later...

Archived