When removing Holding female?

Ant

Ive had a couple of problems recently, i took a holding female out of the main tank about 4 hours after spawning because i thaught she'd be ok, but she had swallowed all her eggs by the next morning. The next time i left the female in the main tank for a few days but she was hastled too much and swallowed after 3 days (this may not have been the direct result by removing as it was only the second mouthfull for one and first for the other). When is it best to remove female and how long after spawn?

Anthony ;)

Sorry Mark your right, I didn't read all of Anthony's original post. :unsure

There are a few things you can try Anthony.

1. Get some more females. Who is giving the holding females a hard time. Funny question I know as it is the male normally but my males polits don't go anywhere near a holding female but the females not holding beat the hell out of another holding female.

2. Place some floating pipe in the tank. This is where a holding female will hide. It will take them a few days after you put it in the tank but they will use it.

3. Do just as Mark said. Leave her in the main tank but in a fry saver so she feels as if she is still park of the group.

Hope that’s more helpful.

Cheers

It is actually the female that causes the problem, my holding females get very defencive of there brood and tend to want to fight (bluff) every fish that comes within a 1ft radius. So their always active. Because she is so active still, i don't want to put her in a frysaver as she will become more aggitated, i think floating pipe is the go and yes i do need more females but im looking for some that resemble reasonable quality and as weve discussed before they are hard to come by.

Anthony :)

Hi Anthony

That should work. The stuff you were asking about would be that black piping that allows water to seep through, I think its called Ag pipe.

You will need to use several bits to get the effect your after so if you have only one then get too and make some more.

The Ag pipe floats and is mobile in your tank. I use about 5 pieces per tank but I don’t have the tank as a display

What Genus & Species are we talking about?

I usually seperate the female after the first 4 days sometimes longer and have never had a problem , i used to have lombardi and i found the females to be slightly unreliable as parents didnt matter much as they bred like rabbits. :rolleyes:

I do very similar to what has been described by Ben and Cichlids au.

My breeding tanks have plenty of hiding places (rocks, floating pipe, terracotta pots and pvc pipe) and I try to run 4 or 5 females for each male, so there is no real issue of aggression.

After 2-3 weeks I move the female to a fry saver and wait for her to spit.

You should not need to move her before this time, and I prefer not to wait too late in case she spits them a few days early. I find bigger fry easier to raise.

Archived