Plants and Tangs

noyd

I know Tangs like a rocky tank, but do they like or respect any plants at all? I mean one that they don't rip up etc? If so what plants?

Or is there absolutly no plants at all where they come from?

Cheers

tangs come from a habitat where plants are available. tangs that make their nests with sand will uproot unprotected plants, but with the use of rocks surrounding the plant this can be made no longer a problem. You could probably put some plants with waxy leaves in with the tangs with no problems.

• 4 weeks later...

It is my understanding, that apart from Val, that occurs in/near river estuaries, there are little or no plants in Tanganyika. I believe that most of the popular Tang fish we keep, do not frequent area where the plants occur.

Myself, I'm happy with no plants in with my Africans, as it is as nature intended. The water conditions required by these fish, are not conduce for good plant growth (with Val as an exception, as they get their carbon in a different method). Plants like Java fern and Anubias would survive, but would to me look biotypically incorrect.

If you want to put in plants, go with the val, try planting them in small pots if you’ve got sand sifters, and put some larger pebbles around their base.

Craig

Archived