Substrate: Cleaning (003)

Tropheus being messy fish, I am often struck by the desire to have a vacuum cleaner so I could just suck out the poop (that so quickly accumulates on the tank bottom) in between water changes.

I went web surfing and saw that Eheim had such a device, blooming expensive but worth it I thought. I started using one but found that in no time flat the sand particles which inevitably got sucked into the cleaner worked their way into the impellor and the impellor cavity and suddenly it is not working well and eventually not working at all.

For this reason alone I am considering changing substrate to fine gravel rather than sand. Now sand has some great advantages, on eof which is that the poop and assorted other rubbish does sit on top of the sand rather than falling into the gravel. However if I changed back to gravel, at least I would be able to use a vacuum cleaner in between water changes without needing to buy a new one every month.

Anybody else got any good ideas before i go change the substrate

I have sand in 4 of my tanks. i love it.

I just syphon. I have a longish bit of pipe attached - just like the ones you can buy at shops, but DIY style.

suck the tubing for about 2 seconds, and it's all good - pumping hard.

i can't see the need for a motor powered vacuum.

quite often what i'll do it put my arm in and start a bit of a whirlpool in the tank before i start the syphon - give the whirlpool 10 mins to settle, and i have a nice little pile of poo and muck all in one spot to clean up.

i lose a bit of sand using this method, but if you use small diameter hose, and a longish bit of pipe, you shouldn't lose too much sand. and no motors to get messed up!

Grace

I dont know how big your tank is but have you ever used one of those old green plastic vacuums that are basically a undergravel uplift design with a mesh bag at the top catching the debris and allowing the water to pass through to the tank again. Only requires an airline from the tank to run it. They are not great on the suction side but they work a treat for what you are trying to vacuum up and it might be gentle enough not to disturb the sand. Does anyone know if you can still buy these things? I havent seen them in a shop for a while huh.gif

Cheers Folkner

DIY gravel vacuum. Get some hose. Drink a bottle of coke (or your preference of plastic bottled beverage 300-600ml) Cut bottom off coke bottle. Stick hose to coke bottle (mouth hole). Exactly like the gravel siphons that cost you $10-20 huh.gif

hose ____

========<____

coke bottle with bottom cut out

Archived