Sad Day

TropheusQueen

Just thought I would share our sad news on an otherwise happy morning - Matthew has just left to enjoy a day of canoeing (well deserved time out) and I was looking forward to spending some, also well deserved, fish time.

I walked into the garage to find one of the two footers had gone cloudy - on closer inspection it contained fish stew sad.gif another heater malfunction either brought on by a blackout (surge) a couple of nights ago or maybe the heat of the last couple of days or just it's time to go.

While I am always sad to lose any fish, this tank contained our oldest male bristlie he would have been 11 years old at Christmas and has serviced his females well. He was a huge character that outgrew a few caves, so much so that we had to cut him out a couple of times over the years smile.gif I didn't have the heart to try and remove him just then - I buried him with his cave.

It has been our main intent, in building the new room, to get rid of heaters once and for all. With the plan behind schedule by 9 months due to external influences and now with our choice to order new tanks - this disaster I am afraid could have been prevented. RIP Grandad wub.gif

Cheers

Aline

Sad news Aline cryblow.gif - he was some work horse too - just have to remember him through his prodegy - a great stud (something like Mathew shock.gif ).

Have the new tanks started arriving yet?

You are right Waz....he has left behind a number of stunning sons and daughters who carry his strength and determination to populate the earth smile.gif

We are hopeful that the first batch of tanks arrives this coming week - it appears that for us breeding fish is much much easier than having tanks made dry.gif

Cheers

Aline

Aline I am sorry to here about your loss. He was a grand old specimen.

I thought you moved away from Katoomba, so you wouldn't have to worry about blackouts.

Aline I am sorry to here about your loss. He was a grand old specimen.

I thought you moved away from Katoomba, so you wouldn't have to worry about blackouts.

dry.gifblink.gifdry.gif So did I dntknw.gif

Aline

Sad news Aline...I wish I could do without all heaters too. We have been warned about power outages over Christmas due to striking workers. I wish they'd bring in the law that prevents essential services from being targets of industrial blackmail...or outlaw striking altogether like South Africa.

Andrea smile.gif

sorry to hear of your sad news Aline sad.gif , i lost a fish this week, a peppermint the only one in my 4ft display not quite the same as loosing a whole tank of fish though..

take care

Sarah

Hey Dave,

Sorry I missed you the other day sad.gif (very unwell I was) - we owe you some change the next time we see you.

Luck of the draw I guess ....this is the second time we have experienced a cooked tank blink.gif . Not a good experience to have to clean up the aftermath.

Aline

Don't leave town now will you LOL.gif Hope you are feeling better.

Hey Dave,

Sorry I missed you the other day  sad.gif (very unwell I was) - we owe you some change the next time we see you.

Luck of the draw I guess ....this is the second time we have experienced a cooked tank blink.gif .  Not a good experience to have to clean up the aftermath.

Aline

Sorry to hear that Aline, very sad day indeed cryblow.gifcryblow.gif I hope you are feeling better as well thumb.gif . It will be a sad day when I lose my old bristlie "bert" . I have only had him for 3 years but he has fathered 100's of little ones god bless him. He was the first fish that I bought once I got back into fish again. Anyway at least he had a good productive life.

cheers

rosco

Thanks guys,

Some may think it strange, the attachments we form with our fish but to me they are a pet like any other and will all be waiting to meet up with me again some day smile.gif

I have just had an image of thousands of fish, eight dogs and 4 birds rushing me at the gates to the Rainbow Bridge LOL.gifwoot.gif

Cheers

Aline

Hi Aline,

Jassila told me about your tragedy cryblow.gif I know how bad it feels.

I had 2 overheating problems in the past as well. One in a 4ft tank that housed a Ps. elongatus "Chewere", Tropheops sp. "Chilumba" and a bristlenose colony. The Cheweres and the Chilumbas were fairly new back then and the colonies just started to breed, although the my bristlenose were not that old as yours they were around 3 years old and were my first bristlenose breeding colony. When I came home from work I noticed that all fishes were floating on the top of the tank and were bloated, when I opened the lid I noticed that the water was boiling. I wasn't in a very good mood that evening I have to add. The cooked fish oil left everything greasy in the tank and stunk really bad so I had to scrub the tank for hours.

I had the same problem with leleupi fry once.

I had a number of cracked heater problems, but fortunately they did not cause fish death.

Roland

Archived