rams (keeping them alive)

yanke

hi

what is it with rams i can not keep them alive for more then 3 weeks

i have had them alone and with other fish

i have been keeping fish for over 40 yrs now 

have breed all kinds of fish from Africans to Americans all kinds and i have had Apistogramma Agassizi 

that i have breed and keep for yrs. 

but can not keep rams at all  i try blue gold and the Bolivian also same thing after 3 weeks gone 

with other fish in the same tank being all ok 

tested the water and all is good 

tryed with ph. in the 6.4 to 7.0  and try higher ph. all so

no luck at all 

i have tryed  6 times now i give up

what is up with rams 

thanks for looking

Hey, What is the water hardness ? I suggest try them in a separate tank with lower PH etc and also put some Indian almonds leaves ? I am not very qualified to respond but it seems the water conditions is the only thing I could think of .. Good luck !

Have a read here about the IAL https://fishlab.com/indian-almond-leaves/

Edited by MattG_Sydney

Hi Paul

You're not on your own mate. Around Christmas i bought 10 beautiful rams off Andrew. They were the best quality rams I had ever seen. They were going great for the first 6 or so weeks and then I lost 1 unexpectedly. Then another 3 or so weeks later, then another 3 or 4 weeks, and the pattern continued. I ended up loosing them all after 6 months. They just slowly withered away on me 1 by 1, would always look skinny and never grew. I also had them mixed with apisto trifasciata and the apistos were fine and were spawning.

I also bought 6 electric blue rams which I also thought were top quality. Same thing happened with them (in a different tank) which i had apistogramma cacatuoides growing out in. Same thing, i eventually lost them all too after 7 months.

My water parameters always checked out and I never skipped my weekly maintenance. Only thing that I really neglected was water hardness (I don't have an RO unit, nor hardness test kit). Driftwood + almond leaves used to make my pH sit around 6.8.

i think they are so inbred that its making them so weak 

all i know is i am done with them 

i love them but done

unless i can get them to last 

maybe we need some wild ones here 

o i did the almonds leaves and the wood also i had peatmoss in there too

Edited by yanke

I'm trying not to be so pessimistic about it. The fish I got were in great condition when I got them, so for me I think it is something I did (or didn't do) for the extra bit of care they need compared to my other fish.