Hello from a returned fishkeeper, who is now being overrun with Saulosi fry

gazob

Been a few years since I have kept fish, and recently returned to the hobby.

Was unsure which way to go and saw a colony of saulosi on gumtree which looked nice and colorful, and the tank I bought was about the right size.

The picture below is shortly after setup, cycling, and introduction.  Since i have changed a bit.

That being said around a month ago the first female started holding, 3 of the 6 females followed suit, and late last week fry started appearing throughout my tank.

If i had to guess there must be 40-60 in the tank by now, 2 females still to spit.

What do I do from here, the fry have lots of hiding spaces and are growing well, largest over 10mm, smallest around 5.

How many can I expect to sell through gumtree ads, and what about the rest. Aside from Gumtree where else should i post, when they finally get to size

I knew that buying a breeding colony would result in breeding, who knew it would be so succesful, my previous experiences with bn cats and angels breeding had such low survival rates in a community tank that too many was never an issue.

Thanks in Advance

Garry

IMG_20190630_125803.jpg

Hi Gary

Welcome back to the hobby. I will be interested to hear what others have to say about moving fish on too. I am relatively new to the hobby and have an abundance of fish I need to move on. I don't have the patience to deal with scumtree so I have refrained from using it so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Try your local fish stores, they may take them , may not  - you will probably get a bit of store credit or something, that works out ok towards food etc 

They may not actually give you cash depending though, and i wouldn't do dumbtree for fish either personally, way to much hassle and you never know who you may be bringing to your home 

And I wouldn't really expect to be making money from them when breeding on a small scale at home , its a catch having breeders when you don't really want fry 

You could start up another tank with something a little more predatory and wallah , you have a feeder fish colony ... lol...

Good luck  

• 3 weeks later...