Electric yellows added to allowable imports list

Skippy

all well and good now but after a while it will happen ..................................

can't wait for the local ones to get mixed up with the different location ones they bring in

especially if they are comparative to local priced stock

unlike Frontosa these are a bread and butter species and seem to be a low demand with LFS

when you talk to breeders with good quality stock

My understanding is that electric yellows are not collected wild from the lake and exported nowadays. Presumably importers therefore will have the option of importing quality German stock or cheap stock from Asia, much like with Cyrtocara moori (aka blue dolphins) which have been an allowable import for many years. In my personal experience the German blue dolphins are far better quality than the cheap Asian ones and I assume this will also be the case with electric yellows. So I'm expecting there may be the odd small import of the quality German lines which will sell at a premium, probably mainly to serious breeders. But I expect the bulk of imports will be cheap Asian stock by major wholesalers which while admittedly bringing some new blood into the country, I do not expect to add any appreciable quality to current stocks.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I have just seen a video of some 8 - 9cm imported electric yellows currently in a tank in Melbourne. To be honest, I found them very disappointing and there is no way I will be obtaining any to use as breeding stock,  in my humble opinion my own strain are far far better quality, both in colouration and body shape. I do not know where the ones in the video were imported from, but I am assuming Asia.

• 5 weeks later...

Anything that gets included onto the import list is only good for the hobby.

Its up to the hobby and enthusiast to import from the correct importer. Countries don't matter, they can be as bad as each other.

Electric Yellows regardless of how line bred they have been can always do with a new blood line.

I personally dont think there has been a legit yellow in australia for a long time. I understand that people have spent alot of time and effort in maintaining and line breeding as best they can and its taken alot of effort. But with this rule change there is a legit chance and not even.... chance. There is a legit avenue to directly import yellows into Australia direct from Africa.

Nice to see you back Chuckie

well the Asian ones that have started to come in are seriously disappointing that I saw in Melb last week

orange and no black margins on the fins ………… hope it gets better  ☹️

I haven't (knowingly) seen any imported electric yellows in the flesh yet but I did see some imported Labidochromis caeruleus Lundo Island  in Labyrinth Aquarium which was something to be excited about.

I have seen some imported electric yellows the original Imports I think it was back in the early 90s. A Scottish gentleman in I think it was Padstow in Sydney bred them up and then released them onto the market one Saturday. I went to his place with a mate from Botany to have a look at these new fish and they were stunning a room full of brilliant yellow perfectly formed fish was amazing 1 adult male especially I can still picture vividly. I was out of the game for a lot of years but haven't saw a fish that would hold a candle to the original stock. I never bought any that day at $120 a fish they were out of my price range at the time so yes it was a long time ago and I'm getting old but I'm pretty sure what I've said is correct but I do remember one thing they were better than anything I've seen lately

Archived