How many of Each????

Mscott19833

Hi guys I have  a 48"x14"x18" (approx 203.7lt or 52.4 gallon) and am wanting to put in Pseudotropheus Socolofi (Powder Blue Cichlid) & Labidochromis caeruleus (Electric  Yellow)

My questions are, 

2 Species Tank. 

- How many of each should I stock my tank with? (if it were only these two species)

- If i was going to have a three species tank, how many of each should I get.. 

Which out of the two species should I add first? 

-Will these two species cross bred? 

And finally 

- What is a good tank mate for these two species I could use for a third species, or a nice center piece fish which would be compatible.

All suggestions, advice and ideas are greatly appreciated.

as per your other thread a 4' x 14" x 18" std tanks is limited because of the footprint

wider is better as height isn't a major factor with these fish

for a tank this size you would look at 6 to max of 10 of each species IMO

as has been advised in previous posts there is a risk of hybrids when not using a species only tank

or a Hap / Mbuna 2 species set up but I have seen Yellows and C Moori cross so this is never fool proof

8 minutes ago, Link2Hell said:

as per your other thread a 4' x 14" x 18" std tanks is limited because of the footprint

wider is better as height isn't a major factor with these fish

for a tank this size you would look at 6 to max of 10 of each species IMO

as has been advised in previous posts there is a risk of hybrids when not using a species only tank

or a Hap / Mbuna 2 species set up but I have seen Yellows and C Moori cross so this is never fool proof

In your opinion which species should go into tank first?  And what m to f ratio's? 

I would look at adding them together, but if it was one or the other the Yellows first

unless you are buying sub adult or adult fish it's a guessing game to sex ratio when you buy them

what you would like to have is 2 males and the rest female of each species

3 minutes ago, Link2Hell said:

I would look at adding them together, but if it was one or the other the Yellows first

unless you are buying sub adult or adult fish it's a guessing game to sex ratio when you buy them

what you would like to have is 2 males and the rest female of each species

Thankyou very much for your help

Archived